Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

School builds mock trenches in playground

slick63

Quick read then straight on to the comments, most amusing some of the replies.

Would like to garner a reply on the Lee Enfield SMLE comment, “it was bolt action so not rapid fire”, I believe that the record still stands of 38 hits on a 12” wide target in a minute at 300 yards set in 1914 by an British army instructor (name escapes me).

I won’t as it would stir up an ants nest😁

Thanks for the link slick63

Nice hookie in one of the pics, somewhat disappointed by the 7.62 ammo in the same shot.

Oh sorry... thought this was the 1917 thread :whistle:

Seriously though, great idea.

Dave

It looks like a hookey hookie lads. The hooks curve has a corner on it where it was welded?

image.png.fa6093f13de826b357f4d82b60aef721.png

Bet that's gone down like a rat sandwich with 'modern' educationalists and those offended by the nationalist, militarist, imperialist, straight people of Britain 

I enjoyed reading the Mail's captions for the photographs, particularly this one 'The Lee Enfield rifle had a 10 round magazine and was capable of accurate and rabid fire'   

Presumably that would be the 'Mad Minute'!

On 07/02/2020 at 16:01, Knotty said:

... Would like to garner a reply on the Lee Enfield SMLE comment, “it was bolt action so not rapid fire”, I believe that the record still stands of 38 hits on a 12” wide target in a minute at 300 yards set in 1914 by an British army instructor (name escapes me)...

Sergeant Instructor Alfred Snoxall.

And see

Enfield Rifles Forum

Moonraker

Thank you Moonraker, couldn’t think of his name, and to be honest I wasn’t to bothered as I remembered there was some doubt as to wether it was achieved or not.

Thanks again for going to the trouble👍

Although widely quoted, and despite  trying, I have found the legendary Snoxall impossible to to trace. Has any one ever found his military records or is he just a missing legend?

The same few words about Snoxall seem to recur quite often on the Web. A younger David asked about him 13 years ago

here on the GWF

but didn't get far. However, a couple of years later there was a longer, if not too fruitful, discussion on the

Gunboards Forum

(See also the link in Post 13 on that thread.)

Hopefully this will save others on the GWF treading the same ground.

(We are going off-topic and if there's anything to add about Snoxall I suggest that it be put on the GWF thread mentioned above.)

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker