Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Cavalry - any help would be appreciated

Derventio

Hi all, I am looking for any help at all in identifying exactly where my grandfather was in the war, when, what units and locations etc. Records, photographs etc. 

I have very little information so any links, active discussions, knowledge or info would be greatly appreciated. My grandfathers details are:

William Frederick Roberts born 6th October 1892 in Etwall Derbyshire. He survived the war.

Pte 101206 - He would have been in Derby during this period.

I was always told he was in the Machine Gun Cavalry and was in Egypt and the middle east and possibly the western front.

He saw (allegedly as I was told as he has a postcard with a picture on) but wasn't on it at the time - the sinking of the HT Osmanieh. 

He was a groom and loved horses and was upset at the end of the war when they were all killed (?).

I do not think he was injured.

I am afraid that's all I have unless questions can prompt more than I write here..

Regards, 

Steve.

Welcome Steve

His medal roll entry here on ancestry shows he was discharged 21/4/19. He received the British War and Victory Medals which tells us he did not serve overseas before the start of 1916. It confirms the MGC Cavalry as his corps but does not show his specific unit.

Ancestry have a few scrap of damaged records. 

Hard to decipher but appears he attested 3/12/1915. That implies he was a conscript, Mobilised 16/2/16 as 3211 I think into the Derbyshire Yeomanry. Transferred to MGC 27/4/17. 

The records are on ancestry here

See also

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-yeomanry-regiments-of-1914-1918/derbyshire-yeomanry/

Edited by Mark1959

Hi, thanks for the information so far. Does that means he didn't join the army till September 1917 - wouldnt that have been very late? Is it possible that he might have had a different number before this? My grandmother says he was in for all the war but I cant confirm this.

I have just uploaded the only images I have.

Steve.

27.jpg

101206-in-uniform.jpg

101206-demobilisation2.jpg

See my reply edited as you were posting. He joined earlier in the Derbyshire Yeomanry. The Yeomanry unit he was in did not serve abroad so all his overseas service appears to have been with MGC.

See also

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/machine-gun-corps-in-the-first-world-war/machine-gun-corps-cavalry-squadrons/

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks all. This is great. I can see the medal roll and the ripped record. I agree it looks like the Derbyshire Yeomanry. Can anyone work out what all the notes say? I can only make out a few words here and there. Also why on his conscription form has he got a number 101206 and 3211?

Steve. 

101206- ww1 service records.jpg

The last entry I have applied an image filter to It, Clearly say Egyptian EF - so Egyptian Expeditionary Force. 

Edited by Mark1959

19 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Hard to decipher but appears he attested 3/12/1915. That implies he was a conscript,

I don't think you can say that.

The Derby Scheme ended on December 11th, and was afterwards extended into 1916.

The MSA was introduced in January 1916 with conscription effective from March.

Thanks for the correction.

The posting to EEF, My best guess as to the very faint date is 14/9/17. Could easily be wrong. There were a number of MGC Cavalry Squadrons in the Middle East so does not help us that much

I am understanding the record now after seeing he was in the Derbyshire Yeomanry first. So I can see that he:

Attested 03.12.15

Mobilised 16.02.16

Posted 22.02.16 to the Derbyshire Yeomanry 3/1st

Transferred 13.06.16 from Derbyshire Yeomanry 03/1st to 02/1st

Then transferred    (presumably to the MGC?)

Then this line  I cant make out - any help would be great

Then on the 28.04.17 there is a line that seems to mention numbers

Then d/d 26.02.17  ? What is d/d

Then Egyptian Expeditionary force. 

What does d/d mean and can anyone read line 4 and 5 ?

Regards, Steve.

33 minutes ago, Derventio said:

Then on the 28.04.17 there is a line that seems to mention numbers

Then d/d 26.02.17  ? What is d/d

These I think are related. He is transferred to MGC on 28/4/17 on the authority of an Army Order (A.O) dated 20/2/17.

"Also why on his conscription form has he got a number 101206 and 3211?"

Numbers in WW1 were regimental rather than army numbers. So when a man changed regiments he changed numbers. So 3211 was his Derbyshire Yeomanry number and 101206 was his MGC number

Edited by Mark1959