Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Opinions on Karl von Einem?

DixieDivision1418

Karl von Einem began the war as commander of VII Corps in 2nd Army, but was promoted to command 3rd Army in September 1914 after Max von Hausen resigned due to illness. He did very well resisting the French attacks on the Aisne, but his troops were badly mauled by the AEF at the Meuse-Argonne.

As very little is said about him here, I wanted to see what people think of him as a commander. Interestingly, Einem was one of the few commanders to say Schlieffen's strategy was flawed.

I own his memoirs that he wrote after the war. He was not only a "Generaloberst" but also "Kriegsminister" (Minister of War) between 1903 and 1909.  As a minister, he reorganized the Germen field artillery, and in 1908 he introduced the MG 08 to the infantry. He was promoted by the young Kaiser Wilhelm II, and in his memoirs he praised him and expressed his veneration for the Kaiser as a person. As a commander-in-chief or the 3rd Army he earned much reputation.  After armistice he took over the "Heerresgruppe Deutscher Kronprinz" and lead it back home.

2 hours ago, inkerman said:

Dixie  can you tell me when Von Einem said that the Schlieffen plan was flawed?  Is it a quote from his memoirs?

The link in my original post only says "He was a fairly independent thinker who openly disagreed with the Schlieffen Plan and fought rapid military expansion for fear of social and political repercussions."