Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Times Newspaper - Roll of Honour

Patesian

I've been researching soldiers of the Machine Gun Corps for over twenty years. Many Forum members will know me from the website that I run inviting enquiries about former gunners.

In building a database, I have incorporated information from a multitude of different sources - including The Times newspaper.

At various points in time during the Great War, this newspaper recorded (under the title Roll of Honour) casualties of all branches of the armed forces, both British and Commonwealth, starting with those killed (Officers and Other Ranks), plus Died of Wounds, Died, Drowned etc, etc.  and also long lists of those reported Wounded.  However, lists of the latter suddenly cease, quite at random, and months later, resume.  

Does any learned member know if lists of the wounded were published anywhere else, and if so, where?  I have been using online versions of The Times, courtesy of my County Library service, but I am wondering if War Office Casualty Lists were published outside of the newspaper medium, and if so, where can they be seen?

In the course of this research, I have been attempting to reconstruct a record of MGC personnel who became POWs.  I've crawled all over the ICRC Record Cards, which go some way towards reaching the goal, and also the "Repatriation" lists in The Times.  I acknowledge that this work will never be 100%, but if any member wishes to compare notes about MGC prisoners of war, please contact me via the Machine Gun Corps Research website.

11 minutes ago, Patesian said:

I've crawled all over the ICRC Record Cards, which go some way towards reaching the goal

Now that Findmypast have transcribed a lot of the ICRC cards and backing sheets, (not perfect but very useful) it is possible to select record set ' Prisoners Of War 1715-1945' then in keyword type 'Machine Gun'.

It brings up over 10,000 hits. Obviously there are duplicates etc- eg the card and a couple of backing sheets- but it is another way of checking if you have missed someone ?

Any use ?

The Daily or Weekly Casualty Lists have been transcribed by Forces War Records (you need a name), The Genealogist (you can search just by Regiment/Corps without a name) and FindmyPast(indexing confusing as no match name and unit). Also available on NationalLibrary of Scotland,(largely 1918 onwards)

They all have gaps but there's lots out there.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie for a very swift response!

I'm aware of the Find My Past effort to make available the results of a search of the ICRC Record Cards. I cannot claim that I have looked at all 10,000 hits yet, but I HAVE checked a large number. So far I haven't found one not already covered by my own trawl through the Red Cross cards. On the other hand I've found lots that are in my database, not mentioned in FMP.

There are a large number of men who, when captured, gave their original unit and number, rather than the one only recently allocated to them on compulsory transfer to the MGC.  Can't blame them for that, since relatives would readily recognize their old number and regiment.  However, it does make tracing them as MGC prisoners doubly difficult.

Sadly, I can't use Forces War Records to search for wounded soldiers, since the site is only searchable by name (which I wouldn't know).  I've "done" the Genealogist, which only goes so far, but what I'm really looking for is some medium which houses ALL of the Casualty Lists as issued by The War Office.  I need to cover the gaps in The Times listings.

Many thanks for answering my appeal for help!

You didn't mention NLS.

This is the link to the NLS site which has all the Weekly Casualty Lists from No1 Sept 1917 to No83 Feb 1919. These Weekly Lists contain the Daily Lists. You can get at the original or a text version for each list which should enable you to extract the Machine Gun Corp bits ?

Charlie

Charlie,

This is exactly what I was looking for.  I have never seen NLS before and need to get my head around its machinery, but it could go a very long way to solving my problems.

Thank you very much indeed.

Graham.

Thank you Maureen.  FIBIS is something I would never have thought to access.  What a wonderful guide to a multitude of different sources.

I've only skimmed through it so far, but I'm sure there is something in there for me.

What with yourself and Charlie962, I am suddenly overwhelmed with source material !

4 hours ago, Patesian said:

overwhelmed with source material

Occasionally , particularly on FindmyPast, one comes across those odd sheets from other people's service files that may be a lists of MGC men. Should I presume you know about these already or would you like to be copied (if I remember !!) ?

I'll look up an example I saw today.

Charlie

edit here on FindmyPast

1078238204_GWFMGCCasList3Oct1917.JPG.aeea9dc4d7f3f74165fde543f44a5aa2.JPGcourtesy findmyPast

Edited by charlie962

Hello again Charlie,

I am well aware of these odd pieces of paper that turn up in FMP.

They contain the most useful information, not available anywhere else. I pounce on them whenever they are discovered.

I had not seen the one which you sent to me, so many, many thanks for that, and the answer to your question is a big YES - if you find any more, I will always be 

grateful.

Graham.

PS. Do you have a specific GW interest?