Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sydney John Dore canteen assistant

I am trying to find information on my Father's service record the only reference I have Is Sydney John Dore canteen assistant 1916.He was born 21July1894. I remember as a child he had medals the difference was they inscribed Sydney Dove canteen assistant I would appreciate any help in this problem. 

Here is a link to a snapshot to an aforementioned page that was on the late Paul Benyon's website
https://web.archive.org/web/20190729084616/http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/KR&AI/Canteens_Messes.html

As an Admiralty Civilian working as a Canteen Assistant, he will not have a surviving service record. The only record you will find is his entry in the campaign medal rolls. The file reference is ADM 171/133. The fifth of six categories eligible for the British War Medal from the Admiralty is 'Canteen staff serving in a ship of war at sea'. This is sourced via "British Battles & Medals" 7th Edition.

Interestingly, during the Falklands War, NAAFI canteen staff were made members of the Royal Navy for the duration of the war and granted official numbers and rates respective to their roles. Canteen managers and assistant canteen managers become Petty officers and Canteen Assistants Able Rates which corresponded to where they messed.

The source of the aforementioned information was provided to me by the members of the British Medal Forum when I researched a Canteen Manager last year.

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Sydney John Dore canteen assistant
11 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

He is mentioned in the National Roll of the Great War

Good find, alf

and from that same link is his brother A Dore.  Albert Edmund Dore, who has a naval service record showing he had engaged 19/3/14.

The 1911 census has their full names and at that time they were living at 5, Cross St, Portsea; Parents William and Julia.

Edited by charlie962