Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WFA pension cards, are they completed?

Dragoon

Hello good people of the forum.

Have all the pension cards been digested yet onto fold 3?

If so I cannot find my Great Grandfather's.

William Robert Brown

He was in the Royal Field Artillery

He served until 1921 his new number was 1040246 old number 3646.

Rank on leaving BSM.

Just wondering if I've missed something?

I've not got fold 3, and I'm not a member of the WFA, but if I knew his record existed I'd sign up for the free trial.

Your time and help, as always, are greatly appreciated.

Chris

Just now, Dragoon said:

Hello good people of the forum.

If so I cannot find my Great Grandfather's.

William Robert Brown

He was in the Royal Field Artillery

He served until 1921 his new number was 1040246 old number 3646.

Rank on leaving BSM.

Just wondering if I've missed something?

I've not got fold 3, and I'm not a member of the WFA, but if I knew his record existed I'd sign up for the free trial.

Your time and help, as always, are greatly appreciated.

Chris

The pension cards for survivors have not yet been digitised

Craig

7 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

Thank you Craig for your quick response, greatly appreciated.

Do you know when?

Chris 

2 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Thank you Craig for your quick response, greatly appreciated.

Do you know when?

Chris 

The WFA are apparently hopeful it may be by the end of the year but there's a huge number of cards so ...

Craig

2 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The WFA are apparently hopeful it may be by the end of the year but there's a huge number of cards so ...

Craig

No worries, I'm a very patient man, thanks for your help Craig👍

Chris 

Hi Chris,

34 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

35 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

27 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Do you know when?

23 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The WFA are apparently hopeful it may be by the end of the year but there's a huge number of cards so …

It might be worth keeping an eye on this topic - link. David Tattersfield seems to be the link between the WFA and Ancestry/Fold3, and is very forthcoming on the forum. The latest position seems to be as per his post #165 on the linked topic.

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Chris,

It might be worth keeping an eye on this topic - link. David Tattersfield seems to be the link between the WFA and Ancestry/Fold3, and is very forthcoming on the forum. The latest position seems to be as per his post #165 on the linked topic.

Regards

Chris

Cheers Chris, I'll keep an eye on that👍

Chris

4 hours ago, Dragoon said:

I'd sign up for the free trial.

I'm not aware of any imminent free trial by Fold3

32 minutes ago, David Tattersfield said:

I'm not aware of any imminent free trial by Fold3

Do they not do what Ancestry or FMP do?

They sometimes do a freebie weekend, you just have to remember to cancel it!

Chris

If you click on the "Join now" option on the fold3 website you are offered a 7 day free trial, and this is where you you need to sign up, and remember to subsequently cancel if you don't want payment deductions to start.

However, Fold3 has a limited number of free days during the year, when at least some parts of the website are completely free and you don't need to sign up.  In 2019 Fold3 was free for a few days before and including the military related "Memorial Day", a federal holiday in USA, the last Monday of May, and there may have been some other dates.

Cheers

Maureen

1 hour ago, Maureene said:

If you click on the "Join now" option on the fold3 website you are offered a 7 day free trial, and this is where you you need to sign up, and remember to subsequently cancel if you don't want payment deductions to start.

However, Fold3 has a limited number of free days during the year, when at least some parts of the website are completely free and you don't need to sign up.  In 2019 Fold3 was free for a few days before and including the military related "Memorial Day", a federal holiday in USA, the last Monday of May, and there may have been some other dates.

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you Maureen for the useful information

Chris

15 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Do they not do what Ancestry or FMP do?

They sometimes do a freebie weekend, you just have to remember to cancel it!

Chris

13 hours ago, Maureene said:

However, Fold3 has a limited number of free days

Alternatively, obtain 365 day a year access to the Pension Records (and Medal Index Cards) and the millions of other cards that will be coming later in the year by joining the WFA. This is only £29 per year and gives you other benefits as well. Plus it supports the only organisation that was prepared to save the records in the first place!

46 minutes ago, David Tattersfield said:

This is only £29 per year and gives you other benefits as well.

gets my vote !- and my money !

But I've just tried to log in to Fold3 Pensions from WFA and it is asking me to sign in ?  @David Tattersfield

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

On 03/02/2020 at 15:03, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

Not fully true, I have found pension cards for survivors in my project research. Not all but some.

8 hours ago, GJW said:

Not fully true, I have found pension cards for survivors in my project research. Not all but some.

The WFA card set of surviving soldiers has not been digitised & released yet - if there are cards in the records already out they've either slipped in with them or they're from one of the different sets. The (surviving) ledgers for all those who survived are already online.

Craig

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

The WFA card set of surviving soldiers has not been digitised & released yet - if there are cards in the records already out they've either slipped in with them or they're from one of the different sets. The (surviving) ledgers for all those who survived are already online.

Craig

Thinking about it, I have both my Great Uncles pension ledgers, they both survived, the Mckeowen brothers, William, Devon Regt, and Samuel, RASC 

Chris

30 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Thinking about it, I have both my Great Uncles pension ledgers, they both survived, the Mckeowen brothers, William, Devon Regt, and Samuel, RASC 

Chris

The ledgers have been released, it's the cards that haven't been, yet.

Craig

21 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

Ahh,makes total sense now, cheers Craig.

In that case, I can't find my Grandfather's ledger.

Sorry, a bit of a mix up there.

Chris

Edited by Dragoon

8 minutes ago, Dragoon said:
29 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

Ahh,makes total sense now, cheers Craig.

In that case, I can't find my Grandfather's ledger.

Sorry, a bit of a mix up there.

and

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:
11 hours ago, GJW said:

Thank, Craig for making these points. Just to reinforce what Craig has said

1) Ledgers have been published.  In simple terms these cover pensions both soldiers who survived and those who did not. There is some weeding of these details of the weeding are detailed on a number of the articles on the WFA web site. 

2) Cards have been published for soldiers who died whose relatives claimed a pension. These are intact, there is no weeding. (There is currently a problem which affects 2% of these. I will detail this recently issue separately as soon as I have investigated further.) Within this set are some cards for soldiers who survived the war but only lived a short time afterwards. It's not known how many examples there are of these, but there won't be that many. So this set of cards are described as 'soldiers died' even though that's not 100% true. 

3) Cards for soldiers who survived (and claimed a pension) will be published later. These are intact. The set is vast, are difficult to interpret and don't necessarily give lots of detail, generally the best will be name, various regimental numbers, sometimes an address, sometimes a summary of a pension payment and a link to the ledgers (see above). 

4) Other cards will also be along later, being officers, officers widows and next of kin of soldiers died. More on these when the time comes. 

I trust this is helpful. To take full advantage of all these records I'd cordially invite readers to join the WFA. Link here >>> https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/membership/