Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Dirty Harry

Lost in translation

Dirty Harry

In other words i cant find the machine gun companys for the 16th Division War Diarys on ancestry.  Have spent 30 mins bumbling about to no avail.  So does ancestry have those for the 16th Bnn MGC and the 269th div mgc company? Did find the wd for the 49th brigade!

Anyone got a solution?

Paul

EDWARD1
MaxD

Just to make it interesting, the diary for 16 Bn MGC's predecessor, 269 Coy is in the same diary cited above  - it follows 16 Bn (on Ancestry) at image 923.  

Max 

Edited by MaxD

Dirty Harry

Well Spotted Edward !

MaxD thanks! its like all my eggs have arrived

wouldnt have thought to look in various troops ! and the div signal company is there too - bliss

Well done ancestry on continuing to hide wd's

Edited by Dirty Harry
additions

MaxD

Life wouldn't be half as much fun if they were always easy to find!  Top tip - go the National Archives search first, find the relevant diary there, use the piece number in the keyword area (nothing else) - works  - mostly.  Example:

NA search term 269 Machine WO 95 (less is more!) - gives WO 95/1966/4

Ancestry piece number 1966 (leave out the /4) gives the site's eclectic mix of dates and places, go to one then work back and forth.

Signals - Search 16 Division Signal WO 95 gives WO 95 1966/1 - Ancestry 1966 and so on.

The /1 etc gives a clue as to how far to go to find the one you are looking for.

Max

Dirty Harry

thanks for the tip MaxD

is it likely that salonika campaign wd's will be realeased by the national archives?

am looking for royal inniskilling fusiliers battalions

MaxD

Don't know I'm afraid, they aren't even digitised.  Whether there is a programme for that  - perhaps someone will know or you could email them?  They can of course be seen there or copied (£££)

Max

Dirty Harry

i have emailed the archives to ask that question.

i live in northern ireland so hard to pop down to the archives...

Paul

Dirty Harry

received the following reply from NA

Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortunately there are no plans afoot to digitise the Salonika campaign war diaries, although it is very much something we’d like to achieve in the future and I have duly noted your recommendation. However, I can’t make any promises and it is likely to be many years before any of these particular war diaries make it online, assuming that a publisher is willing to fund the digitisation.  

In the meantime, there are alternatives to visiting in person, such as obtaining copies through our Record Copying service. It might also be worth speaking to the Salonika Campaign Society if you haven’t done so already; we collaborated with them many years ago to digitise the trench maps for Salonika.

Maureene

I have seen good reports, on GWF and elsewhere,  of the document copying service  by Lee Richards of arcre.com, although I have not personally used this service.

https://www.arcre.com/copyservice

Cheers

Maureen

MaxD

You may wish to compare the cost:

National Archives £8.40 for a page check and preparation of a quote then, if the quote accepted, £1.20 per page for a digital copy.

arcre - 10p per page, with a £5 minimum.  Another service also charges 10p per page https://www.facebook.com/pg/British-Army-War-Diary-Copying-Service-209324246138228/reviews/

Both are reliable.

Max