Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Clue - 18 "abandoned" lost graves at Schneideműhl

TullochArd

Sorry but I still think you are making the photo in the original post show what you want it to show rather than what it does or doesn‘t show.

Look at the sky to the left and right of the building there is a vertical line separating two different colours. The building has been photoshopped in.

The fence post which was pointed out can only be the front righthand (looking at the photo) corner post otherwise another rail would be in the shot. According to the 1924 plan the graves of Browne and his comrades are in front and to the right of the said corner post. In the photo showing their grave markers, their markers are behind the corner post. Also if the fencing was in situ during the war, the graves in front and to the right of the monument had already been moved. I suggest the fence was erected post war after some of the graves had been moved to Poznan and the area landscaped.

Referring to plan which must have a scale, the Russian memorial is smaller than the British one, this does not tie in with the rather large building in the photo.

The photo in post 1 has been photoshopped - the building, the names on the markers and probably the fence post - to suit what ever purpose.

Charlie

C6B81FFC-D2A4-4397-81A1-DB36FEFA88F7.jpeg

77D40656-1602-4A70-B486-F48C98E16619.jpeg

99225F37-F548-4AE3-940D-2B7222512832.jpeg

31A6390F-E71D-416A-886E-EAC7A5FAE1AE.jpeg

0FDA0BC7-48F2-4184-8FEF-472821321F45.jpeg

Edited by charlie2
Better photo of the sky colour difference

TEW commented "I'm sure the 1924 report says the graves near the British memorial ie those exhumed were in fact open trenches with coffins side by side. The Original photo shows separate graves with gaps. Perhaps the gaps were dug out for other burials? Or, they were moved?"  As I read it the early 1915 burials are not in individual graves.  However the 1916 photo shows separate graves with gaps but no crosses - although admittedly less well defined.  I would guess the 1924 Greig plan uses these as surface datum points which seemed to have endured - but appear to have little relation to the actual burials. I also read the occupants remained and were not moved. 

Looking at the Russian Orthodox Chapel/Russian Memorial as shown in enlarged Post #25 I would say that it seems pretty small.  It appears to be little more than a small tower type structure of dimensions not unusual in many cemeteries.  I think we have our answer.  

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

Sorry but I still think you are making the photo in the original post show what you want it to show rather than what it does or doesn‘t show.

Look at the sky to the left and right of the building there is a vertical line separating two different colours. The building has been photoshopped in.

The fence post which was pointed out can only be the front righthand (looking at the photo) corner post otherwise another rail would be in the shot. According to the 1924 plan the graves of Browne and his comrades are in front and to the right of the said corner post. In the photo showing their grave markers, their markers are behind the corner post. Also if the fencing was in situ during the war, the graves in front and to the right of the monument had already been moved. I suggest the fence was erected post war after some of the graves had been moved to Poznan and the area landscaped.

Referring to plan which must have a scale, the Russian memorial is smaller than the British one, this does not tie in with the rather large building in the photo.

The photo in post 1 has been photoshopped - the building, the names on the markers and probably the fence post - to suit what ever purpose.

Charlie

C6B81FFC-D2A4-4397-81A1-DB36FEFA88F7.jpeg

77D40656-1602-4A70-B486-F48C98E16619.jpeg

99225F37-F548-4AE3-940D-2B7222512832.jpeg

31A6390F-E71D-416A-886E-EAC7A5FAE1AE.jpeg

0FDA0BC7-48F2-4184-8FEF-472821321F45.jpeg

Thanks Charlie. I see where you are coming from but the photoshop vertical line doesn't seem to be on the photo I posted at the start of the topic. Regarding the monument dimensions - I read Points A-D on the 1924 Greig plan as the corner posts rather than the actual corners of the British Memorial. The path layout on the 1924 Greig plan (and your photo immediately below the 1924 Greig plan) suggest this is the case.  If so, the enclosed area within Points A-D would fit the (admittedly much smaller than I thought) Russian Monument structure …...… which revealingly also sports an Orthodox Christian cross! I think we have established that the grave markers indicate little more than a willingness to represent rather than an actual grave location.  Shall we agree to differ on this one? Regards and thanks.  Ian

The colour difference in the more detailed picture looks to be the photo on the next page (the one of the burial procession) shining through. It was copied from a magazine.pila3.jpg.b33cb3c9010749cc3688cbd776cf5f71.jpg

Same bluish tinge is on the page with Pvt Garvey, with the photo of the previous page shining through.

pila4.jpg.5fad96a2964b74bdf013be9c5f53784d.jpg

http://www.forum.dawna.pila.pl/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1408&start=25

Edited by JWK

I re-read the exhumation report which stated that row 14 was a trench grave. For row 12 (photo) it didn't say trench or separate.

Although the Greig plan doesn't give a scale I worked one out from the 42 foot long re-burial plot with Cross 1. The Russian memorial should be 2.1 x 1.9 metres as shown by the rectangle.

Any ideas when the Russian Chapel 'lay in ruins'?

TEW