Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My new adventure.

cooky

Having turned 50 now and wallowing in retirement my time has come to visit the battlefields on my terms .

Technology has moved on since I last had this opportunity,(even the forum was an inspirational notion in some people's imagination).

For example.....

Trench map knowledge. Any map,any reference and more,the problem is solved within hours. Not only that google earth images of the area area posted with trench overlays and specific annotations added. How is this wizardry produced and how do I gain the knowledge (buy the stuff needed)

This will truly be a revelation for me.

Cooky.

• Admin

There is Linesman (great war digital) and @WhiteStarLine knows a great deal about this wizardry 

Michelle 

• Admin

http://www.greatwardigital.com/

I picked up a second hand one, pre loaded onto a Samsung tablet. 

Michelle 

• Admin

I got mine from a member here, he had advertised it for sale. If you want a new one, it's all in the link I posted above.

Michelle 

Linesman is well worth the money. Works wonderfully when walking the battlefields.

Roel

Whoa..... rewind to the first eight words of the opening post

On 02/02/2020 at 14:03, cooky said:

Having turned 50 now and wallowing in retirement 

Where did I go wrong? 50 and retirement do not fit together in my world!!

Sorry, that is not a constructive comment but had to be said 😉

I know of Linesman but do not have it, my visits to the battlefields are infrequent and as a bit of a map geek I enjoy working on current maps against contemporary maps and locating specific sites which fit into my research. I have still been tempted by Linesman but my Yorkshire pockets resist. For now, until retirement, maybe ....

Margaret

41 minutes ago, Margosh said:

Whoa..... rewind to the first eight words of the opening post

Where did I go wrong? 50 and retirement do not fit together in my world!!

Sorry, that is not a constructive comment but had to be said 😉

Margaret

I believe from Cooky’s other posts, he retired from the Manchester Fire Service.  I think from the Marple Station,  

I prefer Paper maps, myself but have been thinking about Linesman for sometime but when I mention it would a nice Christmas or birthday presents but it never appears.  

Alan

My station was Stockport (king street),

There were only paper maps last time I planned a trip.

Linesman is looking very probable,mate of mine from Gorton fire station popping over this week to give me the heads up. 

It looks like the 21st century beckons. 

In anticipation,

Cooky.

Roel, 

You add more weight to the argument for investing in this magical machine. 

The plan is to pack a bag and start out forthe Somme using trains,coaches and other public transport to get there.Once ensconced buy a scooter and bimble to all the places I could never quite get to in previous times. For example the dew drop or the Bedfords counter attack at Albert in March 1918 to mention a couple.

Any advice on travel would again be very much appreciated. 

Cooky.

Hi Cooky, Linesman is highly regarded by all of its users, but first consider if this free option meets your needs ...

If you travel with a tablet, iPad or laptop, internet connections in France are much easier to get than they used to be.  The National Library of Scotland has over 280 trench maps brilliantly georeferenced, all zoomable and with a modern map overlay.  All free (internet connection required).  They also have a 'location' option to show where you are now on our browser.  This may be all that you need.

We did the same kind of thing with an internet connection by converting my grandfather's trench map references to modern locations and putting them into Google Maps.  Nothing better than asking Google to navigate you to 62d.J.19.b.40.30 and arriving!  We even found an untouched (heavily overgrown) trench his signal section had supported the Mont St Quentin attack from.

Not putting you off Linesman - it has a massive number of trench maps and a great reputation.  Just letting you know of 2 free options that I have tried on previous visits.

Enjoy your retirement and have a great trip.

10 hours ago, cooky said:

My station was Stockport (king street),

There were only paper maps last time I planned a trip.

Linesman is looking very probable,mate of mine from Gorton fire station popping over this week to give me the heads up. 

It looks like the 21st century beckons. 

In anticipation,

Cooky.

Excellent, a retirement well deserved (my comment was very tongue-in-cheek). 

A plan to pack a bag and wander with purpose sounds a great idea, I look forward to hearing how you get on and what you discover. 

Margaret

• 4 weeks later...

I never got on with Linesman. I've had it for many years but it just didn't work for me. However, I do have all of the maps that came with it and I use them just like any other map, and to create overlays onto Google Earth images, etc. I may try it again when I get a new tablet.

Cooky, keep us informed of your plans. I'm on the Somme most of the time, and it is always good to poke fun at an ex-water waster. :rolleyes: