Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers in WW1

Hi. I have recently researched one of my great great grandfathers. I found out he served in the Royal Engineers Inland Water Transport and Docks section. I haven't been able to find much information relating to this section and their work. Anyone with any knowledge or information about this would be a great help. Thank you. 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are some details here

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/community/3117

If you can advise his name and number, date of birth etc the other members may dig up info

regards

Jon

Edited by jonbem

There is also a previous thread on the forum

They were responsible for the movement of stores on the inland waterways of France and Belgium, repair of locks, construction of quays and the maintenance of docks. They were also responsible for the hospital barges which operated on the rivers and canals in conjunction with the RAMC and nursing services. They also were responsible for the Richborough Military Port near Sandwich in Kent. Barges were constructed there and a cross-channel roll-on roll service operated to various ports in France and also from Southampton. The port also received stores and salvage returned from the BEF.

The IWT also operated in other theatres of the war , including East Africa, and Egypt. Another major area of operation was Mesoptomia where they had a significant presence on the Rivers Tigris and Euphrates.

As mentioned in post 2, if you can provide his name and service number, we might be able to help.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thank you both for the information. His service record was on ancestry so I found out a lot about him through that. His name was William Evans 

Regiment Number - 214014

DOB- abt 1881

His record was quite hard to read in places but I gathered he got in trouble a few times for late timekeeping and drinking!  I suppose as well as information on the work he did I was also curious if the bad behaviour would have been common doing the work of a sapper or was just him! 

For those interested in looking further HERE is the record on Ancestry

renumbered to WR 504093

HERE is the medal roll and HERE is the MIC