Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US Medical Services

Peter B Gunn

In researching my uncle's Col D'Rastricke Carr's unit 149 Field Ambulance, 63 (Royal Naval) Division, I have come across a number of US personnel in 1918. What did the acronym M.O.R.C. mean?

Peter,

1500 US doctors who were members of the Medical Officer Reserve Corps were called up for service by the USA at the request of the British Government to supplement the RAMC doctors.  A list of their names and a description of what happened and their experiences is contained in the book "The Lost Legion - The story of the fifteen hundred American doctors who served with the B.E.F. in the Great War." by Dr. W A R Chapin.  It has been scanned in and is available online here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015039349421&view=1up&seq=11 should you be interested.

David.

Ed and Libby Klekowski, Americans in Occupied Belgium, 1914-1918: Accounts of the War from journalists, tourists, troops and medical staff (McFarland, 2014) may also be of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned in another thread that I was going through the newspapers.com at the weekend whilst it was free for a few days, I was looking up stories about the US Navy and the Northern Barrage.  I found one US Navy here near here at Corpach - he came off one of the ships bring the mines across the Atlantic.

I looking him up last night and found that Ancestry has the Burial Records for US Navy Base Hospital No.2 at Strathpeffer.  Further searches found that they have more of these for other US Navy hospitals.  Names can be recorded more than once, in different registers.

They can be found at

U.S., Navy Burial Records, 1898-1932

Edited by mbriscoe