Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.N.D 2nd Field Company Divisional Engineers

Snowyred

could anybody tell me if there is a war diary for the RND 2nd Field Company Divisional Engineers, all i can seem to find is a diary for the 1st Field Company and Engineers HQ, any advice please, TIA

There are no surviving war diaries for 2nd and 3rd Field Coys RNDE. In addition to the HQ and 1st FC RNDE diaries there is the diary for the Signal Coy at ADM137/3066

It is worth noting that the ADM 137 record entitled "1st Field Company, Engineers" covers Oct 1916 to Jan 1917. Immediately after this period the RNDE Field Coys were re-numbered as 247, 248 and 249 in the RE.

The BEF diaries for all three Field Coys RNDE are at WO 95/3103. For 247 Coy (formerly 1st Coy) the Kew description states that the diary covers Oct 1916 to Apr 1919 including the transfer from RNDE to RE in Feb 1917, absent from the ADM 137 records. The 1st/247 diary actually starts in Aug 1916.

If you are looking for Gallipoli diaries of the RNDE, there are none.

22 hours ago, Snowyred said:

could anybody tell me if there is a war diary for the RND 2nd Field Company Divisional Engineers, all i can seem to find is a diary for the 1st Field Company and Engineers HQ, any advice please, TIA

Out of interest, what is your interest in the 2nd Field Company, RND Engineers?
My Great Gt Uncle served with the Company at Gallipoli.

Sepoy

My great uncle also served with the 2nd Field Company, RND Engineers in Gallipoli..

Out of interest, was the War Diary lost, or was it never written in the first place?

Martin

2 hours ago, tootrock said:

My great uncle also served with the 2nd Field Company, RND Engineers in Gallipoli..

Out of interest, was the War Diary lost, or was it never written in the first place?

Martin

I assume the war diary was either lost, or destroyed, when the RND Engineers were passed to the Royal Engineers. I would have been delighted to read what they got up to.
My Uncle was Deal 400 S L/Cpl David Maxwell Gordon (AKA Max), 2nd Field Company. I do have transcripts of letters that he sent to my Gt Gt Aunt which names various Members of the Company. If you let me have your Uncle's name, I will check to see if he appears.
Sepoy

My great uncle was Depot S/461 Sapper Archibald King. He enlisted on 2 October 1914, served in Gallipoli, was transferred to RE as 207929 on 31 January 1917, and ultimately transferred to the ASC as M/280709 on 22 July 1917, to utilise his skills as a motor engineer.

He survived the war.

Martin

I have searched through my Uncle's letter transcripts, but I cannot see any mention of your Uncle.
Max (an electrical engineer employed by Abdulla Cigarettes) enlisted on 1st October, 1914 and then trained at Oxney and Walmer in Kent.
He landed at ANZAC on 28th April, 1915 before moving to Helles. Whilst at ANZAC he fell down a deep gully and lost his "Long" Lee Enfield Rifle!.
Max was wounded in action on 6th May, 1915 and evacuated to Egypt, and returned to the Peninsular on 16th June, 1915.
Max continued to serve on the Peninsular until the evacuation in January, 1916. He had been wounded for a second time on 21st November but remained at Helles.
He was transferred to the Royal Engineers on 31st January, 1917 and numbered as 236173.
Max ended the war as a Company Quarter Master Sergeant.

My Grandfather Joseph Metcalfe D/5121 was also in No 2 Field Coy RND .A Lance Cpl Donald Stewart was also in the same unit and co-signed my grandfathers  Hurt Certificate when he was wounded on the 18/6/16.

1 hour ago, sapperwho said:

My Grandfather Joseph Metcalfe D/5121 was also in No 2 Field Coy RND .A Lance Cpl Donald Stewart was also in the same unit and co-signed my grandfathers  Hurt Certificate when he was wounded on the 18/6/16.

I cannot find a mention of your Grandfather, but there is a "Stewart" mentioned in my Uncle's letters. They shared a tent during training at Oxney and he later mentions that "Stewart" was shot through the leg during early May. Although, I have several letters addressed to my Gt Gt Aunt stating that he had been wounded etc, regretfully, I do not have his "Wounds and Hurts" Certificate. I just love the comment on them "was Sober at the time".

Sepoy

3 minutes ago, Sepoy said:

he later mentions that "Stewart" was shot through the leg during early May. [presumably 1915 at Gallipoli]

Sapper Donald Stewart, Deal/453(S) RNDE (L/Cpl from Dec 1915) was wounded 6 May 1915 according to Hurt Cert notation in his ADM 159 ledger record.

Many years ago Len Sellars photocopied "War Diary of Engieer Unit-Royal Naval Division" from June 1st 1916 to June 30th I916. I'm not sure what the number on the from page mean WO95/3101  then a space of maybe 2 inches and the numbers 62309.

I don't know if this is any help to you 

Sapperwho

Here is the shrapnel bullet which wounded my Gt Gt Uncle on 6th May, 1915. It was left in-bedded in his forehead until it was removed in March, 1916, after he started complaining of severe headaches!

Sepoy

0217.jpg

It seems my Great Uncle was only 8 numbers away from Sapper Stewart. They likely knew each other.

Martin

Edited by tootrock

• 2 months later...

My great grandfather was a sapper in RND RM and 63rd company service numbers 853  and 207466 JOSEPH TINDALL

Served In Gallipoli and France he survived the war would love to find out if any of the above mention him as I have no personal details  

On 06/02/2020 at 14:35, sapperwho said:

WO95/3101

WO 95 / 3101 is a file reference in TNA's Discovery catalogue at Kew. The file has been digitised in several sub-files ( / 1, / 2, / 3, / 4) which you would have to browse through to find the pages for the dates you are interested in. They should then be downloadable - free of charge for the duration. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4556252

sJ

21 hours ago, seaJane said:

WO 95 / 3101 is a file reference in TNA's Discovery catalogue at Kew. The file has been digitised in several sub-files ( / 1, / 2, / 3, / 4) which you would have to browse through to find the pages for the dates you are interested in. They should then be downloadable - free of charge for the duration. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4556252

sJ

Thanks