Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German World War picture book

HenryTheGerman

Dear Forum Members

I got a book donated. It comprises 350 pages showing About 500 photographies that were taken almost entirely at the Western front. According to the short book preface, all the images come from archives of the Allies. There is neither a date of publication nor a publisher or a publishing house being entitled, but a sales office address in Munich. Nonetheless that book seem to have been sold quite often, there are some offers for it in the internet. - Take a look at the snapshots that I took:

Weltkrieg im Bild.jpg

Bild2.jpg

Two pics more:

Bild4.jpg

Bild3.jpg

You lucky chap being donated that!

An interesting looking book - not that I can read German.

Thank you for bringing it to GWF members' attention.

:-) M

Actually, there are two volumes.  One with photos from the Entente (yours), one with photos from the German Bild-und Filmamt (BUFA) published around 1926/28.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

one with photos from the German Bild-und Filmamt (BUFA)

I bet that one would be of much interest too.

It´s basically "same same but different". There seem to be different editions, though. Mine is from 1930. Same publisher but published in Berlin and Oldenburg.

GreyC

GreyC

Sorry now don't understand - different editions? - sort of already thought there were those.

or different Volumes x 2  - one Allied kit, the other German kit - as you posted before in #3???  Or at least that's what I thought you were suggesting.

Certainly thought you meant Volumes

Not just same photos but from different sources in different editions.

???

Or is it just now down to editions? - I suspect there may be several more editions / re-prints or the like published - published/printed in different towns it would seem.

Sorry if I seem to be a bit thick / confused.

Still would be interesting to see what was being published in Germany after the war.

Any overtly political slant to it?? 

Or just of simple technical / social interest??

:-) M

Hi,

I just had a quick look in German libraries and found publishing dates from the twenties to 1930. The publisher was the same in all cases. As I only have the described volume of 1930 with material supplied by the BUFA I cannot compare the different volumes/editions picture by picture. The style, from what I see, is practically identical.

Best,

GreyC

2 hours ago, GreyC said:

As I only have the described volume of 1930 with material supplied by the BUFA I cannot compare the different volumes/editions picture by picture. The style, from what I see, is practically identical.

So are you suggesting just the same forces - just allied equipment?

Got to admit I was hoping for a look at German kit photos too.