Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Max and Franz Immelmann

alex revell

Hi all,

Can anyone give details of the service of Franz Immelmann, the brother of Max. It appears that he was also an airman, but even in his biography of his famous brother he gives no details of his own service with the German Air Service. 

Sorry you've had no ideas on this Alex. I had a bit of a search for you, but no luck. I'll ping something off to a couple of my very helpful friends in Germany - if anyone knows, they will...!

Thanks Trevor. I too had a search, but  with no luck. It's for David Filsell of the Western Front  Association who is compiling a catalogue of German WW1 books that have been translated into English -  a worthwhile project, I think   

Thanks gentlemen. Franz Immelman is certain an elusive character. It would be great to get anything at all about him.  The final objective is to complete a commentary and summary on German language  books of junior officers and other ranks (the books by the  brass seem too self serving) and civilians who wrote fiction or personal accounts of the war which were translated into English.

Tally of books located now just over 130. Latest find is about a book by German cavalry ensign who fought the for the White Russians against the Reds which was published in English in the USA but not in the UK.

But current research is on Oswald Boelkes brother, Franz, who wrote "Immelmann: Eagle of Lille" based on his brothers letters to his parents. Any help/leads with a Franz would be great.

Regards

David