Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform/Medal Identification

Albert Bowler

13 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

I do wonder sometimes if people that ask questions even know or look to see the answers we provide....

I’ve gotten used to it, in fairness the majority of people do make an acknowledgement, and for me, they are the ones who make it worthwhile.

Edited by FROGSMILE

totally agree with you :thumbsup:

Interested as to what appointment gave him the aiguillette he wears in the photo, as he doesn't have the nominal letters ADC.

I can't identify this appointment from either his entry in Who Was Who or his obituary in The Times in 1956.

From Who was Who

Cutbill, Colonel Reginald Heaton Locke

CMG 1919; DSO 1917

Born April 1878; s of late Col H. D. Cutbill, late Royal Irish Rifles, and late Mrs I. M. Cutbill, d of Joseph Rhodes of Napier, New Zealand; m 1st, 1907, Edith (d 1945), d of late Lt-Col L. E. Bearne of Kingsteignton, Devon; one d; 2nd, 1948, Irene M. Woolley, The Laurels, Derby; died 21 June 1956

Education: St Helen’s Coll., Southsea; Fermoy Coll., Co. Cork

Matabeleland Mounted Police, 1896–98; received Commission in the Royal Irish Rifles, 1899; transferred to Army Service Corps; served Matabele War, 1896; South African War, 1890–92; European War, 1914–18; DAQMG 18th Division, 1915, 1916; AA and QMG, 1917–18 (Legion of Honour, CMG, DSO, Bt Lt-Col, despatches five times); AQMG Southern Command, India; Deputy Director of Transport, AHQ, India; commanded the RASC on the Rhine; ADST (Scottish Command), 1924–29; retired, 1929; Military Knight of Windsor, 1938–46, resigned, 1946; employed as President Interview Board, War Office, 1940–42; Chief Warden, ARP Windsor, 1942–45; has travelled extensively

Recreation: Shooting & Fishing

Club: Army & Navy

Address: Roskitt Lodge, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland

From The Times of London June 23rd 1956

1565549815_ScreenShot2020-02-13at14_05_38.png.c60c0eaf5867008928e4b0a5a34348dc.png

The ADC aspect has to be whilst serving in India given the Indian Staff Corps uniform.  My guess would be that his AQMG appointment in India carried a tied ADC role, but that is pure speculation. It’s worth bearing in mind that we are not 100% positive about the ID of the photo.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The medal combination especially with the BSA makes it very very likely - its not a run of the mill medal group 

maybe a check of the medal roll might confirm where his BWM and Victory medals where on this date 

Thank you everyone for all your replies. I've been reading them regularly with interest. Looking at all the info everyone has supplied , the medals which I'd surprisingly identified pretty accurately & the signature, I'm pretty sure it's Lt. Col. R.H.L.Cutbill.  The photo does look to be very similar to another image I've recently seen of him.

I'm very interested in as much info on the gentleman as possible & am very grateful for all the help.

you will find plenty more info if you look in the London Gazette

Hi all

Bit late to this party.

Looking at the photograph the top button reminds me of the buttons very similar to what the Manchester Regimental officer's wear with the Egyptian sphinx in the centre of the button. Not sure if this helps in anyway.

Roy

s-l400.jpg

Edited by themonsstar

4 hours ago, themonsstar said:

Hi all

Bit late to this party.

Looking at the photograph the top button reminds me of the buttons very similar to what the Manchester Regimental officer's wear with the Egyptian sphinx in the centre of the button. Not sure if this helps in anyway.

Roy

He’s not wearing regimental buttons, Roy.  He’s wearing an Indian Staff Corps tunic, for which there were discrete buttons relevant to the uniform.  The buttons were adopted in 1900 as a precursor to Lord Kitchener and Lord Curzon reorganisation of the Indian Army in 1903.  They were similar to the previous pattern, but with the word ‘Indian’ replacing the old presidencies.  In 1900 the Indian Staff Corps, which consisted of a corps of British officers for regimental employment in the native army, but also for staff, departmental, and other duties, numbered 2,600 effectives. Of that number 26 were general officers. 

1DCDC236-D694-4301-B21D-CF467816E488.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 02/02/2020 at 19:04, Coldstreamer said:

I have a possible in 

Maj Gen TA Cubitt 

due a medal Lapai and Anam 1898  - what medal is that ??

ignore him  - no clasp on the medal so irrelevant 

Probably off topic as we are not discussing Major General Cubitt, RA, but ......

Lapai and Anam are both in Nigeria. After reading the Onlinemedals.co.uk website I believe the medal will be the East and West Africa Medal with clasp "1898". This clasp covers three expeditions, the second one went to Lapai and the third one included Anam.

Hope someone is interested,

aim

On 03/02/2020 at 00:28, FROGSMILE said:

No I’m confident it’s not a patrol collar, Buller, although I can see why you thought of it (like you, it seems, I’ve worn them under blue patrol jacket collars).  They protrude over only the top edge.
Conversely, the white piping shown in his photograph also runs down the front of the collar join and then extends down the edge of the tunic join (as is normal), of which you can see the first few inches before it becomes obscured by the beginnings of his aiguillette cords.

Although an RASC officer (assuming that it is ‘Cutbill) he is not wearing an RASC (blue with white collar and cuffs) tunic.  It is a slight puzzle, but I believe that the tunic is scarlet with blue collar, which suggests that he must be wearing a post 1902 pattern uniform of the British-‘Indian Staff Corps’ (worn by British Indian Army (European) officers not at regimental duty, without collar badges - it was a standard infantry pattern uniform, but with dark blue facings as standard, and no collar badges).  If we can trace his career post WW1 it ought to be possible to ascertain what his role and associated uniform relates to.

NB.  Prior to 1902 each of the presidencies in India (Bengal, Bombay, Madras) had discrete Staff Corps whose uniforms differed only in buttons and waist belt clasp.  But after Kitchener’s unification implementation of 1902 a single uniform was adopted as shown below.

F7FF19E2-686B-42F2-A46D-77EABC5958C4.jpeg

98571237-AD08-41BE-B5F1-8282BCE67C8B.jpeg

1AC141CA-5D1E-48E9-BBF9-1D330ADD8EBD.jpeg

I’ve got to stop looking a pictures with detail on my iPhone! I can see on the larger screen that it is piping all down the breast.

as for you Coldstreamer, I agree. Many who post go away no wiser but better informed!  Which is why - as Frogsmile alludes - when you do get a “hit”:it is all worthwhile even the (occasional) ingrates. 😉

No problem, Buller, I too struggle with detail when resorting to my phone screen on those occasions when there’s no other option.