Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help identifying uniform

rachmcn

My 2nd great-grandfather was in the Seaforth Highlanders from 1900-1915 but the uniform doesn't look like the usual images of the Seaforth Highlanders so I was wondering if anyone could help me with it, thanks.

Also doesn't help that I can't see the cap badge.

7589da9f-f559-402d-b2d6-db9e06a8b807.jpg

Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) looks like a possibility.

An image of their cap badge from the Cameronians website to compare.

http://cameronians.org/uniform-tartan-badge/index.html

Are you sure it is your grandfather? As he looks very young for someone who served from 1900-1915. The image looks to be from the war years.

Scott

Cameronians.JPG

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

I agree with Waddell (Scott) that the soldier shown is from the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).  He is quite young, wears an emergency/simplified pattern jacket and doesn’t yet have black buttons, all of which suggest that he is probably a Kitchener volunteer around 1915.  Behind him is a typical corrugated iron hut of the type built to get soldiers out of tents for the Winter of that year.

C6D0B2B1-C96E-4CD3-A31C-1F0CCCDD5CB0.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, Waddell said:

Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) looks like a possibility.

An image of their cap badge from the Cameronians website to compare.

http://cameronians.org/uniform-tartan-badge/index.html

Are you sure it is your grandfather? As he looks very young for someone who served from 1900-1915. The image looks to be from the war years.

Scott

Cameronians.JPG

He is my 2nd great-grandfather, born in 1881.

The issue I'm having is that we are not sure if the picture is him as my family were very secretive and not much is known about them and this was the only picture from the war we found in their possessions, however I do have his service records and know for sure that he served with the Seaforth Highlanders from 1900 to 1915 when he was wounded in 1914 in WW1.

I wasn't sure how to identify the uniform but since you're saying Cameronians then the picture must not be him? 

I am quite disappointed that the picture may not be him as we also can't seem to locate his medals anywhere in the family, it would have been nice to at least have a picture.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help.

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I agree with Waddell (Scott) that the soldier shown is from the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).  He is quite young, wears an emergency/simplified pattern jacket and doesn’t yet have black buttons, all of which suggest that he is probably a Kitchener volunteer around 1915.  Behind him is a typical corrugated iron hut of the type built to get soldiers out of tents for the Winter of that year.

C6D0B2B1-C96E-4CD3-A31C-1F0CCCDD5CB0.jpeg

Wow, that's very interesting, didn't know there would have been that much information in one picture. 

As this picture was found in old family albums I'm starting to believe that instead of it being my 2nd great-grandfather, it could be another family member or a close friend so I'll definitely try to look into it.

Thank you.

Your photo shows a man way too young to have been born in 1881.  The jacket and background both suggest early in the war, 1914-15.

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Your photo shows a man way too young to have been born in 1881.  The jacket and background both suggest early in the war, 1914-15.

Thank you, my family are now thinking it must be someone who was younger than my 2nd great grandfather, either one of his brothers or cousins. 

If you posted some biographical information it might help folk here assist you - names of men it might be, given the fact it's quite a young man in about 1914/15, hometowns, and the like. 

Good luck, Pat