Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown L/Cpl Bedfordshire Regiment

andrew pugh

Good Afternoon to you All

Buried in grave 1.A.9 in Lebucquiere Cemetery there is an unknown L/Cpl of the Bedfordshire Regiment who was killed on the 24/03/1918 and recovered from 57c. That's the information given on the cemetery list that I have. Would anybody like to guess or suggest a name for this man? I look forward to your replies.

Kind Regards

Andy 

Hi ralphjd

I forgot to mention the only Bedfordshire Battalion in that area at that time were the 4th Battalion

Regards

Andy

1 hour ago, ralphjd said:

204052 William Wickens missing 24 3 1918 Arras Memorial - possible ?

He is showing as a Private on the Arras, not a Lance Corporal 

1 hour ago, andrew pugh said:

Good Afternoon to you All

Buried in grave 1.A.9 in Lebucquiere Cemetery there is an unknown L/Cpl of the Bedfordshire Regiment who was killed on the 24/03/1918 and recovered from 57c. That's the information given on the cemetery list that I have. Would anybody like to guess or suggest a name for this man? I look forward to your replies.

Kind Regards

Andy 

Charles Madgwick is the Lance Corporal from the 4th with the same date and on the Arras Memorial 

Charles Madgwick was 25 years old when he died , William was 27 born 22 4 1892 same as the CWGC 

Edited by ralphjd

Hi

Thank you all for your reply's. The man suggested by Trenchrat22 is the same name that i came up with,L/Cpl 41248 Charles Madwick of the 4th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment, who was killed on the 24/03/1918.He previously served with the Suffolk Regiment, and his service number then was 37879. I have a cemetery list for Lebucquiere in Spreadsheet form that lists "all" the casualties in that cemetery, when i say "all" the casualties i mean known and unknown. It lists this man as Unknown,L/Cpl Bedfordshire Regiment, killed 24/03/1918,grave 1.A.9 originally found 57c. I checked the records to see what Bedfordshire units were in that area around that date and came up with only the 4th Battalion.I the checked the casualty lists for the Bedfordshire Battalions on Geoffs Search Engine over a 3 day period, filtering out only the 4th Battalion casualties and they only list 1 L/Cpl as being killed over that 3 day period.That man is L/Cpl Charles Madwick ,of the 4th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment I will now try to put some evidence together and at some point submit it to the authorities for possible identification. The C W G C have him listed as a L/Cpl on his records. What do you folks think?

Kind Regards    

The difference between Private and Lance Corporal is easily sorted - the substantive rank was Private, the appointment was Lance Corporal. Anything that shows the rank, should, correctly show Private.

Craig