Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this Walter Frederick Doughty

Dan hood

Not sure if this is Walter Doughty. On the back it does say Doughty, Walter served in the fusilers man in photo has fusilers cap badge.I know Walter died in the great war  and came from Burnham market . It says Burnham Sutton on the back of the photo can't make out much more than that pencil worn away, I believe Walter was brother to a Robert Doughty whom I have mentioned in a past post.  Robert was born in 1882 all the signs are there but I would like to be sure.

IMG_20200129_151336_hdr.jpg

Edited by Dan hood

14 minutes ago, Dan hood said:

Not sure if this is Wilfred Doughty

Are you sure of the "Wilfred" forename or could it be "Wilfrid" or something else starting with a "W" perhaps?.

Have you any other family details that you can share with us please?

Or military details?

I ask as it would help me and other GWF pals help you.

Meantime ...

I have access to relatively few sources, but I can I can report that I have found:

A CWGC death for a WF Doughty, Royal Fusiliers 26241 https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/312630/doughty,-/ 

And thanks to the WFA a corresponding pension record for a Walter Frederick Doughty [died of wounds] whose father, Edward Doughty, lived at either or both Thoroughfare Yard, Burnham Market or Sutton Estate, Burnham Market.

Is this your man or a relative?

Access to a 1911 Census might perhaps help

Over to you and GWF pals ...

:-) M

2 minutes ago, Dan hood said:

Yes you are right with name sorry my spelling. It was Walter frederick you got him

I hope it is the right man for you.

If Walter Frederick Doughty you might perhaps wish to alter your tread title to aid other GWF pals who may have material to add - just a thought

All the best.

:-) M,

4 hours ago, Dan hood said:

It says Burnham Sutton on the back of the photo can't make out much more than that pencil worn away,

Can you post a good quality scan of the back ?

The WF Doughty that Matlock identified :

Medal Roll says he went to France 24/7/16 until he Died of Wounds 28/5/17. Served throughout with 7th Bn.

Soldiers Effects says he left all to his Mother Elizabeth. The Gratuity amount will enable a cleverer person than I to calculate when he first enlisted.

He is commemorated on the Burnham Market War Memorial

1911 Census tells us he was born c 1896. The chap in the blurred photo looks older or is that the blurring ?

Edited by charlie962

24/7/16, the date that Walter went overseas is also the date the 7th Bn went to France

LongLongTrail gives this:

7th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Artillery Place, Finsbury.
Landed at Le Havre 24 July 1916.
27 July 1916 : joined the 190th Brigade, 63rd (Royal Naval) Division.  War Diary on Ancestry here

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

7 minutes ago, Dan hood said:

On the 1911 census does it say brother Robert? 

No

Edward and Elizabeth had 8 children of whom only 4 are still alive in 1911 and they are listed as

Edward aged 26

Emma Eliz age 20

Albert Arthur age 18

Walter Fred age 15

5 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

pension record for a Walter Frederick Doughty [died of wounds] whose father, Edward Doughty

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Soldiers Effects says he left all to his Mother Elizabeth

#26241 7RF

Pension card record shows dependant as mother/Mrs E Doughty which was changed to father/Edward Doughty

I originally thought that the Mrs E was possibly Mrs E[dward] but now looking again seems expanded as as 'dec'd' Mrs E[liza] [a.k.a. Elizabeth it would now seem] - The card thus, as one might presume, definitely also indicates that Eliza/Elizabeth died sometime during the pension period [hence change to Edward]

To assist the PC helpfully also shows in the same ink the change of dependant and a new ledger claim reference [sadly the ledger 11 is now lost] - dated 29/7/39 - Which might help anyone searching for her death details etc..

Likewise in the same ink is the change of address for Edward Thoroughfare Yard to Sutton Estate so seems a contemporary clue to his address then too.

So would seem to also pre-date Edward's date of death and this may be of assistance too.

I hope this info might be helpful for you when doing your research

:-) M

Think you might be on to something he does look older then 20. Maybe his older brother Edward or Albert, the only reason I thought it was Walter is that most of that family served in the Norfolk's.  Fusilier  cap badge turned me that way. Most of the family lived in Burnham so right family maybe wrong man. Thank you to all for help still good stuff related to this family.

28 minutes ago, Dan hood said:

Think you might be on to something he does look older then 20.

To my eyes at that period they often do look older - especially with a 'tache [moustache-envy showing through!] - life-style [a hard paper-round job from a young age?] or photography I can't tell.

To my eyes your "G" could certainly perhaps be an "E" on the photo/card [double-decker c style]

Who is the lady wearing the hat? - does that help you / us?

I am going to have a guess. This photo is of Walter and his sister Emma they had the photo done in a studio, and Walter sent the photo to Emma who live in  Burnham Sutton (Burnham market) is that how things happened back then.

25 minutes ago, Dan hood said:

is that how things happened back then

I'm not that old that I can say for sure - but seems a possible scenario and I have seen many of the like in my family and others' = Mother/sister/sweetheart

???

Edited by Matlock1418