Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help identifying cross suspended from pocket

66Vespa

Can anyone identify the cross suspended from the left chest pocket of the soldier in the photograph?  As pictured, he is a Lance Corporal in the 6th Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment.  He was later commissioned Lieutenant in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry and also served in the Machine Gun Corps.  Thanks.

493878619_UnidentifiedCross.jpg.dd28337c8ec2922c3de086053b09aa16.jpg

It is not a Military badge or medal, but possibly a religious cross hung from his watch chain.
I have a very similar looking cross which came with some WW1 items, but unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea where it is currently stored :rolleyes:
If I can find it quickly, I will scan the cross and post it here for you.

Sepoy

Thanks Sepoy,

I had my doubts that this was a bonafide military item; however, I also expected that there would be a regulation prohibiting the wearing of non-military items whilst in uniform.

R.

Jim,

Thanks for your suggestion; however, I think it unlikely.  The lad pictured is the son of the licensee of the pub on the village green, and was the best friend of my great uncle, whose great-grandfather, great uncle, and step-grandfather had successively held the license of another pub just a mile or so away. 

R. 

1 hour ago, 66Vespa said:

Thanks Sepoy,

I had my doubts that this was a bonafide military item; however, I also expected that there would be a regulation prohibiting the wearing of non-military items whilst in uniform.

R.

Might it have been worn for the duration of the portrait only, because it was given to him by the person for whom the photo was taken?

I think there is something written on it, but Photo not good enough to blow up. The shape is that of the Red Cross.

16 hours ago, 66Vespa said:

Thanks Sepoy,

R.

But given that he's wearing the chin strap of his cap as a chin strap (!), he was obviously not too fussed about the regulations when he had the picture taken.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

But given that he's wearing the chin strap of his cap as a chin strap (!), he was obviously not too fussed about the regulations when he had the picture taken.

66Vespa
Your chap was not uncommon for ignoring regulations when photographs were taken. Here is a member of the London Scottish with a watch chain fob clearly on display - I just like the VC like Maltese Cross shape of the fob! (I picked this photo specially for you Steven.)
Sepoy

14th-battalion,-london-regt.jpg

Edited by Sepoy

6 hours ago, keithfazzani said:

The shape is that of the Red Cross.

Not sure if that is strictly the case - I think the arms of the Red Cross, if it matches the white cross of the Swiss flag as it should, are each a square (with another square for the centre).

3 hours ago, Sepoy said:

66Vespa
Your chap was not uncommon for ignoring regulations when photographs were taken. Here is a member of the London Scottish with a watch chain fob clearly on display - I just like the VC like Maltese Cross shape of the fob! (I picked this photo specially for you Steven.)
Sepoy

What a splendid-looking young man.

Hey Forum Folk ,

Could it be this ?

Belonged to Mrs DD grandfather during WW1 ( 6th Dorsets ) , don't know if he had it on his uniform , no sign of it on the photos we have ! not sure about the letters , some kind of christian fellowship perhaps ?

Cheers DD

Fob 1.jpeg

10 minutes ago, DorsetDan said:

Sorry Forum Folk ,

Forgot to include the other side in my haste .  DD

Fob 2.jpeg

That is exactly the cross that I have, and mentioned earlier in this thread.
Thank you for posting it.

And Dai, thank you for identifying it!

Sepoy

On 31/01/2020 at 10:10, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Yes, they raised funds for some of the wooden huts which were installed and run in this country and overseas, to provide comforts for Soldiers at training camps and in war theatres. Not sure if they would have been Church Army rather than YMCA or Salvation Army huts though.
This photo was available for sale online a while back. I think 'C.E.S.I.' is the Church of England Service Institute, another fund raising group:

12a CEMS Hut interior.jpg

Many thanks for the ident Dai and thanks to Andy for the extra info , we have often wondered about the cross , now things are a bit clearer . Thanks again  DD

Yes good to know exactly what it was. Interesting to note that the young man was obviously proud of his membership. 

Thank you Dorset Dan, Dai, and Sepoy for your collective efforts in identifying the cross; and thank you Andy for the background information.  Much appreciation to all.

Regards.

R.