Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John and/or Thomas KELLY or KEELEY

PaulC78

I've got one or two men here who I'm struggling to find on CWGC despite multiple searches: John KELLY 6062 and Thomas KELLY 11163, both East Lancs, both presumed dead on 15/07/1916. Service numbers may be reversed, surname may also be KEELEY, and they may in fact be the same man. This is what I've got...

Pension ledger lists John and Thomas separately:

Fold3_Page_1.jpg.5a9ef304d8c337d5cdc1f90d4aeea703.jpg

Pension cards names only Thomas but with John's number:

Fold3_Page_2.jpg.758474157c2b9a517abcc110498e3d15.jpg

Effects register suggests that John and Thomas may be one and the same and gives "Keeley" as an alternate spelling of the surname:

42511_6129999_0095-00055.jpg.72f866c07c551b3d61d36f684ae53624.jpg

The medal roll entry for J Keeley 6062 is struck through, while T Kelly 11163 has a separate entry. I can only find John Keeley 6062 in the death index.

Note that the other brother Francis does have an entry on CWGC: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/634079/kelly,-/

Can anyone else find them on CWGC or make any sense of this?

MIC s

Keeley J 6062  8th East Lancs France 1/8/15 but then several annotated corrections eg inelligible ?

Kelly Thomas 11163 East Lancs  France 1/8/15

CasList 25/8/16

Keeley J 6062  East Lancs wounded

edit-  Cas List 27/11/16  now reported wounded and missing

So there seems to have been uncertainty at the time as to who was killed. Still looking for CWGC!

Edited by charlie962

it would be worth considering this to be include in the "in from the cold"  project -  a huge number of people didnt get recorded (for what ever reason) and this project seeks to rectify 

have you contacted the CWGC?

1 hour ago, Coldstreamer said:

it would be worth considering this to be include in the "in from the cold"  project

OP has IFCP volunteer under his name !

Was just posting here in case anyone else could see something I missed! I'll have another look tonight but will check with Terry Denham in case he's already been looked at.

Have you tracked the family to confirm that John Kelly was indeed one of the brothers etc ?

Note that on one CasList the name was 6062 Kesley !

Edited by charlie962

26 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

OP has IFCP volunteer under his name !

:doh:

Looked again on CWGC, definitely not listed on that date or with either service number (using any variation of the surname).

1911 Census for 186 Eaves Lane, Chorley, shows Thomas and John Kelly as the two eldest of eight siblings.