Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bridges & Locks Mons Conde Canal

Arthur Adamson

Good morning all,

I'm a new member on here and I am looking for a little bit of assistance. I am conducting some research into the battle of Mons, and I was wondering if anybody has any information on where the bridges and in particular the locks over the canal were situated at the time of the battle?

Particularly Lock2 defended by the 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers. 

I am aware that the modern day canal actually runs a couple of miles to the north, after the basin west of Nimy railway bridge, but as to where the bridges were originally, alas I am somewhat bereft. The same applying to the locks. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Much thanks, AA.

• Admin

Welcome to the Forum AA

I have moved this into another sub forum in the hope it will attract more interest.

Good luck with your research

David

Hi Arthur and welcome to the forum.

McMaster University has a wonderful collection of online trench maps and they let you download them free for research.  Lock No 2 is in square 35, to the east of Nimy.  The link is http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A4265 and the lock is just above-right of 35.

view%3Ftoken%3D2eddd4f54c7346f1f7d61d91ac20c4114233734810a612ff253d4532fc8f50dc&svc.region=6170%2C17258%2C903%2C2154

I'm not sure if this is greatly different today - I did an incredibly rough guess of Map 45.L.35.b.2.2 and Anciens deversoir seems to cover it on the Google Hybrid Satellite:

image.png.2c0ed91bbc5d5bb583bc1d93de5506de.png

Credits: McMaster University and tMapper.

Let the forum know if you need any other help.

4 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Welcome to the Forum AA

I have moved this into another sub forum in the hope it will attract more interest.

Good luck with your research

David

Good afternoon David. Thank you so much for your assistance. It is very much appreciated.