Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing RFC Canada records?

AngusScully

RFC Canada - records of service in Canada

I am researching a Canadian who joined the RFC in Toronto in October 1917. I have his attestation papers and his service record from UK Archives.
His service record begins with his arrival in England in April 1918. The is nothing about his training in Canada.
Canada does not have the records. The RFC/RAF Canada operation in 1917 and 1918 was not a Canadian government responsibility and operated outside of Canadian control. It was a large pilot and ground crew training scheme and trained thousands.
Archives Canada refers inquiries about Canadians who joined the RFC in Canada to the UK Archives.
Does anyone have a suggestion about where the RFC/RAF Canada records might be?

Hi Angus

Welcome to the Forum. It would help if you gave us the name of your Canadian and perhaps a link to his attestation and service papers. (I for one find the Library & Archives Canada website a bit clunky to search.) Of course, if you're given suggestions about where the records might be, then you may prefer to do all the work yourself, but there are some members here who like to dig around and may present you with some info.

Good luck.

Moonraker

Thank you.

2nd LT Osborne John Orr 152219

Service Record: The National Archives Air 76/383/151

Attestation papers: Fold3.com/image/614925751

I have successfully found Canadian Other Ranks'/Airmens' records in AIR 79, when researching men who died in Canada. Contrarily, there do appear to be missing records for Maltese entrants, but I think this is an administrative error, and that these are still held by the RAF.