Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary: D Bty 242 Bde RFA: Which was incoming fire?

rolt968

This is part of the War Diary for 242 Brigade RFA for part of 14, 15, 16 May 1917:

1309558948_WarDiaryfor242BrigadeGWF.jpg.0ee6baf2538f1148cb00784ac609a321.jpg

A man I am researching was killed in action while serving with D Battery on 15 May 1917. He is listed in the casualty list at the end of the month.

The diary is a bit vague about where the individual days end.

Were the "Harassing fire ..." in line five and the "Gas shells .." in line six outgoing or incoming? Or is it perhaps more likely that my man was killed when the "Enemy artillery was very active ...." about 04.45 on 16 May?

RM

Edited by rolt968

RM,

with just what is there in those War Diary entries, it seems hard to say with any certainty but my hunch would be incoming.  You may though be able to get a further clue from the orders that are often included as part of the WD to see if there's anything in there to suggest what night-time firing they were scheduled to do.  In practice it seems to me that both sides tended to shell the other sporadically during the night.

David..

21 hours ago, David26 said:

RM,

with just what is there in those War Diary entries, it seems hard to say with any certainty but my hunch would be incoming.  You may though be able to get a further clue from the orders that are often included as part of the WD to see if there's anything in there to suggest what night-time firing they were scheduled to do.  In practice it seems to me that both sides tended to shell the other sporadically during the night.

David..

Thanks David

I'm a bit relieved that I'm not the only person who find the entry ambiguous. There are a number of end of month summaries in the WD. Unfortunately not always the same. I will see if there is anything interesting.

RM

22 hours ago, rolt968 said:

"Harassing fire ..." in line five and the "Gas shells .." in line six outgoing or incoming?

I read it as part of 'almost continuous firing- in enemy position-'  ie outgoing.

A higher level war diary might have numbers if Bde doesn't ?

Charlie

prev day has .. 'night 14/15th Huns (?) carried out gas shell bombardment' (gridref)  so the next day's note of 'gas shell bombardment repeated' must be incoming. perhaps the gridref helps ?

Edited by charlie962

I would say the harassing was outgoing and the gas incoming. If as seems likely the grid references are I 23 and I 17 then these are only about 1000 yards from Battersea Farm.  If they are J 23 and J 17 then they are so far way the battery wouldn't be affected by the shells.

Giving the technical title to incoming would also be a little strange, the German firing battery may have called it counter battery.

Max

2 hours ago, Chris_Baker said:

Which division was it under at the time? The war diary of its Commander Royal Artillery may give better details.

I will see what is in the previous pages.

They were actually Army Troops. However it should say who they were supporting. The Brigade actually relieved another on 14 May (guns in situ (?)).

RM

The trench map may add credence to my point on the incoming gas shelling,  Battersea Farm to the east of Zillebeke, I 23 and I 17 uncomfortably close to the north.  J31 and J 17 out of sight to the east:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=50.8404&lon=2.9429&layers=101464642&b=1

Max

PS  Although 18 Div is mentioned, they weren't supporting that division (vide HQRA 18 Div)  RM may find a firing programme.

Edited by MaxD