Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best single account of Western Front by an ordinary British soldier

LCompton

• Admin
23 hours ago, nigelcave said:

Of Those We Loved, I L Read - a relatively late memoir, beautifully written and illustrated by his own, good, drawings. Superb.

The Journal of Private Fraser - a first rate CEF memoir.

An officer 'memoir' - actually based on his letters - The Master of Belhaven is outstanding.

Sydney Rogerson's (officer) two works.

Normal Gladden's (OR) two books.

Nothing of Importance, also gets my vote; plus The Weary Road (Douie).

The challenge was to choose one.

Ken

Seven years ago I was on a similar quest, and started the thread HERE. As you can see, I am keen on memoirs or diaries written during the war and shortly afterwards. I think that The War the Infantry Knew is my very favourite, although I have read over eighty since I started the thread.

William

Edited by WilliamRev

Ghosts have warm hands 

14 hours ago, WilliamRev said:

Seven years ago I was on a similar quest, and started the thread HERE. As you can see, I am keen on memoirs or diaries written during the war and shortly afterwards. I think that The War the Infantry Knew is my very favourite, although I have read over eighty since I started the thread.

William

Yes I read that excellent thread before posting here.  Your stamina in following up the recommendations is impressive.  Did you ever get bored by repetition among the 80 books or were the individual experiences different enough to keep your interest?

And I meant to say that 'The War the Infantry Knew' is highly recommended in other threads but aren't the diary entries largely by infantry officers rather than the other ranks?  

• 1 month later...
On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 20:45, Marilyne said:

Difficult question, but I'm definitely with Dust Jacket Collector here... 

"There's a Devil in the Drum" is the best!! 

M.

Just to confirm what already said… I have to confess… I read John Lucy's book in 2011 I think (there was a copy at the university Library of Strasbourg) and decided to read it again…

Just call it an experiment: I ordered two CD's on Amazon (helping out the bands in these dire times...) and while I accept that there might be longer delivery times due to COVID19, two weeks for the package to make it from the Amazon depot in Charleroi to here is a bit much… So I'm trying to find out if it's a one-time event or a longer problem.

The main problem in all of this is that I have all the time in the world to sort out my books but… can't buy bookshelves…

M.