Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian uniform- stripes on sleeve?

Sturmmann1918

Hello all, I recently purchased this photo for my collection. This Belgian soldier wears the Belgian Croix de Guerre, as well as 6 stripes on his sleeve. I have tried researching what rank or what the 6 stripes represent, but I'm having a hard time on my end. I can not imagine the stripes being representations for how many times wounded as six sounds high, but maybe they represent years of service? Any help is appreciated by all! I've attached the photo for clarification.

img199.bbBBJPEG.jpg

Edited by Sturmmann1918

• 1 month later...

Hi Sturmmann1918,

This is a sergeant (maréchal des logis) of a mounted unit, photographed during the last two years of the Great War. He wears the Other Ranks’ 6-button khaki winter field jacket introduced in August 1915, together with Model 1915 winter riding breeches, in this case manufactured from Bedford Cord. His mounted status is further confirmed by the distinctive brown leather leggings introduced for mounted troops in June 1915, and spurs. The ankle-boots are private-purchase items, of a type popular with officers. This N.C.O.’s rank is displayed by the single stripe of khaki braid worn above each cuff. As in the French Army, within mounted units the rank-title of sergeant (sergent) was replaced with that of 'maréchal des logis'.

The light coloured collar patches worn by this N.C.O. may indicate he is a cavalryman, perhaps serving with a regiment of Lancers (white patches) or 'Chasseurs à Cheval' (yellow patches). Unfortunately, if any regimental numbers are worn on the shoulder-straps, they are obscured in this photograph.

The six embroidered diagonal stripes displayed on this N.C.O.’s upper-left sleeve are the so-called ‘Front Stripes’ introduced in June 1916 to indicate front-line service. Initially, a soldier would only be eligible for his first stripe after 18 months service at the Front, with each successive stripe marking a further six months duty. However, in January 1917, the qualifying period necessary to gain the first stripe was reduced to one year. In addition, the colour of the ‘Front Stripes’ now became rank specific, with Officers wearing gold, W.O.s and N.C.O.s silver (as we see in this photograph), and soldiers (Corporals and below) red.  

Chris

Edited by cmf