Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Jennifer68

WW1 Secret

Jennifer68

A couple years ago I discovered my grandfather had been in WW1. I found his attestation papers during Ancestry research. My father never knew his father had been in the war. He knew his maternal grandfather had been but not his own father. We always assumed my Grandmother would have known and it was kept from the children. A few weeks ago I found  some letters that had been written In 1958 to her sister. She mentions wanting her eldest son join the military but that her husband didn’t want him to.She says she doesn’t understand why he is so against him signing up and he won’t explain why. This is when I realized she did not know either. What horrors he must he have seen to keep this a secret from venue his wife! Did he ever talk about it with his father in law who was also in the war? We will never know. Going to see 1917 tomorrow. Maybe some of the reasons he never spoke of it will be answered. 

Knotty

Welcome to the Forum Jennifer68

Enjoy the film, please remember it is fictional, you may find it useful to read the thread called “Spielbergs new film 1917”, after you have been, that way you can make up your mind on its authenticity.

If you wish to find out more on your grandfather, just ask on here, given his name and number and regiment there are enough knowledgeable members that will be able to help you trace his wartime experiences. 

Edited by Knotty