Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand Field Artillery

Andrew P

Greetings

I'm currently researching a mates grandad, Gunner James Tandy, who served with the NZ Field Artillery in WW1

From his service record it shows him enlisting in 1917 and being sent to the 29th NZFA, which I presume means 29th Reinforcements to the Artillery, as on his arrival in France he was sent to the 3rd Battery which was part of the 1st NZFA Brigade.

In February 1918 he was badly wounded and was later to lose his leg in No.2 New Zealand General Hospital on Walton on Thames, England.

My query is what part of the front were the New Zealand Field Artillery stationed in January/February 1918?

Unfortunately the service record doesn't give many clues.

Regards

Andrew

If his battery was linked to the New Zealand Division, then it would have been in the Ypres Salient, with Plumer's Second Army. I can get you the exact details.

Robert

Andy, try this NZ Arty link for info on the Bdes.

http://www.riv.co.nz/rnza/rf/ww1/ww1.htm

The NZ Div moved into the Broodseinde Ridge area at the end of Jan 18. Prior to that the official history mentions effective enemy 'shell storms' which took a toll on rear areas around dumps and exposed tracks.

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the response guys.

Robert

I have been hoping that the 1st NZFA Brigade was still linked to the New Zealand Division at the time, but the service record gave no details of this kind. I will add the info of the NZ's being in the 2nd Army to his write up I'm compiling.

Dave

Thanks, that site gives me a bit more info about the makeup of the artillery.

Gnr JG Tandy was a bit unlucky. When he first reached the 3rd battery he was struck down by measles, then he came back to them only to be badly wounded in the head and legs.

He took a long time to recover and only returned to New Zealand in December 1919.

Thanks again

Andrew

Hi Andrew

A little bit of info here which you may find helpful, Im currently researching my Great Grandfathers unit 330th Brigade RFA, they were in the same area as NZ Divisional Artillery in Jan/Feb 1918. According to the units diary and I quote

" 10 Feb 1918.......66th Divisional Artillery handed over defense of line to NZ Division and 50th Division at 10.00am. and Batteries of the Brigade moved to wagon lines during the day"

Andrew, on the days previous to this remarks in the diary refer to back areas being shelled namely GARTER POINT....KIT and KAT, ZOONEBEKE ROAD and DEVILS CROSSING. Unfortuneatly no map references as sometimes War diaries do have.

As I say not much but maybe it will help you.

Best regards Aaron.

• 2 years later...
Greetings

I'm currently researching a mates grandad, Gunner James Tandy, who served with the NZ Field Artillery in WW1

From his service record it shows him enlisting in 1917 and being sent to the 29th NZFA, which I presume means 29th Reinforcements to the Artillery, as on his arrival in France he was sent to the 3rd Battery which was part of the 1st NZFA Brigade.

In February 1918 he was badly wounded and was later to lose his leg in No.2 New Zealand General Hospital on Walton on Thames, England.

My query is what part of the front were the New Zealand Field Artillery stationed in January/February 1918?

Unfortunately the service record doesn't give many clues.

Regards

Andrew

It is interesting to find someone researching a soldier who served in the 3rd Battery of NZFA. I am researching that particular Battery but my interest is mainly starts with ther formation 19n 1914 til thay left Galipoli at the end of 1915. I have several diaries and letters from Battery members andthe Unit War Diaries for July 1915. It is for my research that I joined this forum but I cannot find out how to ask any one of knowledge in my subject ??? good luck with your research

regards Kiwi Bob