Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Garlick? Help and information

Tony Standen

DF236044-D235-40C4-A121-26CCDF244FBE.jpeg.7269fd1f8e429a96ed7d2f6615b9b95b.jpeg57E1E17D-1BC8-4033-9F87-938F0AC9C6DE.jpeg.df488042dbf404c9e517c6aac1f9fa84.jpegHi I’m new to this forum - amongst my grandfathers belonging we found this photo - my grandfather was an officer in the 1st battalion the loyal north Lancashire regiment - we think the man in the picture was a relation and that his surname was Garlick can anyone help in identifying him and his regiment and status please - many thanks

Edited by Tony Standen
Wrong title

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Tony

It would help if you could use the exit function to change your post title to that of the soldier's details. That way you will attract more attention. Also take a look at the Long Long Trail above as there is loads of information on how to research a soldier.

Good luck with your research

David

Thanks David - I’m a bit of a technophobe! we only have the possibility of a name nothing else, no regiment etc..  it is an unusual name, hopefully someone might recognise something from his uniform or badges Or even the building in the background Kind regards Tony 

for ww1 medals there are hundreds with this surname

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/1262/?name=_garlick&count=50&name_x=s_1

Edited by Coldstreamer

Those stars on his right sleeve look to my amateur eye like five-pointed Territorial efficiency stars, each awarded for 4(?) years' efficient service. I don't know much about cavalry, but I don't think the Regular regiments had TF units (although... the reserve regiments of cavalry in WW1 trained men for both cavalry and Yeomanry, I believe). Both a Yeomanry and a cavalry NCO would be issued with a sword. Others on here will be able to comment in much more detail (and with much more expertise) on such matters, plus the kit, badges, etc. - can see he's some sort of senior NCO, but others will know exactly.

Just to start the ball rolling, the rolls for the 1914-15 Star and British War & Victory Medals, accessed on Ancestry, show a 614 Staff Quartermaster Sgt James S Garlick, Worcester Yeomanry (Q.O. Worcestershire Hussars). The Star roll records that he entered theatre of war (3) on 20.4.15 and died 9.6.15; at this time (3) would indicate Egypt. The rolls say "deceased" rather than e.g. Killed in Action, and so one might speculate on sickness or accident as cause of death. The Worcester Yeomanry arrived in Egypt on 22nd April (this is not incompatible with the date of 20.04.15, in my limited experience).

Hopefully experts will be along shortly. Good luck,

Pat

Edit: have to say, a Google on Worcester Yeomanry cap badges isn't very convincing re this being your man. Although, not impossible by any means.

Edited by Pat Atkins

Thankyou so much pat!! -  the Egypt thing is really interesting as just spoke to my dad and he as a child remembers passing a big picture going upstairs in mum and dads house in Kidderminster titled “the death of Gordon” and our family had connections to both Egypt and India - could be something? kind regards tony

• Admin

Hi Tony, there are a few of them and I am no expert. 429 soldiers with surname Garlick on the medal rolls index cards (MIC). Yes Pat, the closest I have found is 614 QM Sergeant James S Garlick. Worcester Yeomanry. Died 9-6-15. There are a few cavalry types and a number of R Field Artillery chaps  but non with that rank. Regards, Bob.

The sword looks to be a 1908 pattern cavalry troopers sword, so the Worcestershire yeomanry chap looks a good match especially as his parents house was in Kidderminster.

Dave.

Edit...A squadron was based in Kidderminster...https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-yeomanry-regiments-of-1914-1918/worcestershire-yeomanry-queens-own-worcestershire-hussars/

Edited by Dave66

James Stanley Garlick died of dysentery in Egypt. Rank as SQMS. Effects paid to his mother, Annie M.

Craig

44 minutes ago, Tony Standen said:

Thankyou so much pat!! -  the Egypt thing is really interesting as just spoke to my dad and he as a child remembers passing a big picture going upstairs in mum and dads house in Kidderminster titled “the death of Gordon” and our family had connections to both Egypt and India - could be something? kind regards tony

Google.... General Gordon of Khartoum, well before ww1 though.

I agree with Pat, Bob and Craig that the photo shows a Yeomanry Cavalry SNCO of the Territorial Force, I can see the Y part of his shoulder title and the curvature of the lowermost part would match with the Worcestershire Hussars Yeomanry.  At first I thought he might be a sergeant with a cavalry arm badge, but the Worcestershire Yeomanry either, did not have one at that time, or it was not worn on SD (there is one in white metal), and I see now that it is a large crown, which indicates that at the time of the photo he was a squadron sergeant major, or squadron QMS.  As the latter fits, I think that you have your man.  His ending would have been very unpleasant and sits starkly with his proud appearance on horseback.

054E5415-8BFE-4486-9F54-A5FB7596E07B.jpeg

82046DBA-D3A6-4622-BF16-C4CAE51B23EC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I have a small booklet produced for the Worcestershire museums service in 1982 about the history of the Worcestershire yeomanry cavalry.

1904, “Swords were withdrawn from use and bayonets issued in their place”
An extract for the 13th August 1914 states

“the brigade arrived at Newbury, where it joined others as part of the 2nd mounted division. Lord Dudley provided, at his own expense, a complete equipment of the new cavalry thrusting sword, (1908 pattern) prior to the brigades three months of training”.

As they entrained for Avonmouth on the 8th April 1915, this gives quite a narrow window for this photograph to have been taken.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Many thanks to everyone for their help finding all this information out, I really appreciate it! - it is my intention to try to get the photo back to the family / relations, kind regards Tony 

15 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

James Stanley Garlick died of dysentery in Egypt

If you were to want any more on his life, then this news report gives a lot of details that could be expanded on.

garlick2.jpg.1a5b2a0e426e5736e8d7973727864f87.jpg

Thankyou so much - I can’t believe the information that is out there! - how have you found the this out? Is it ancestry.com? Is that the best? I’m a novice in this kind regards Tony 

4 minutes ago, Tony Standen said:

how have you found the this out?

It is quite simple really. A bit like the story of the tourist in an Oxbridge College who was admiring the fine lawn, and asked the gardener how he procuced such a fine lawn.

The gardener replied that all  you did was cut it and roll it.

The tourist then said, but I do that and it is not as good as your lawn

The gardener then gave him the real secret " but you have to do that for 1000 years"

Its a bit like that with these sorts of historical WW1 puzzles, it is all out there, but it comes down to "experience" to find it. :)

Free BMD has James Stanley Garlick born in 1880.

Dave.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Tony Standen said:

Thankyou so much - I can’t believe the information that is out there! - how have you found the this out? Is it ancestry.com? Is that the best? I’m a novice in this kind regards Tony 

Hi Tony, I believe that the picture was taken outside the Kings Lynn Custom house. From the Long Long Trail; "November 1914 : moved with brigade to Norfolk, regiment to King’s Lynn. " Here is a picture of the said Custom house courtesy of Wikipedia. The journey took me from Kidderminster, to Worcester, to Newbury, and then before Avonmouth where they sailed from here we are at Kings Lynn. All by the Mighty train "The Google Express" charged with knowledge gained on here above.Regards to all, Bob. image.png.eb5ad371ee005085a41f37d0bf46f147.png

• Admin

Thanks Peter, Here is one with the railings still there, though it is a painting. The road is called Purfleet Quay as seen on the building to the left, which is on the OP photo as well. Regards, Bob.  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g315936-d3138358-i226339379-The_Custom_House-King_s_Lynn_Norfolk_East_Anglia_England.html

Edited by Bob Davies

2 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Thanks Peter, Here is one with the railings still there, though it is a painting. Regards, Bob.  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g315936-d3138358-i226339379-The_Custom_House-King_s_Lynn_Norfolk_East_Anglia_England.html

I'll see your painting and raise you 19th Century lantern slides :)

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/PICNOR/BIBENQ/155516537/2214131,4?FMT=IMG&IMGNUM=1

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/PICNOR/BIBENQ/155516537/2210500,6?FMT=IMG&IMGNUM=1

A view from the early 1900's

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/PICNOR/BIBENQ/155516537/2205505,12?FMT=IMG&IMGNUM=1

A 1928 view from the river.

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/PICNOR/BIBENQ/155516537/47431319,8?FMT=IMG

And that painting in the studio with the artist.

https://norfolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/FULL/PICNOR/BIBENQ/155516537/47430935,13?FMT=IMG

Now I guess I'll have to check out the local papers to see if the Yeomanry arriving in King's Lynn gets a mention. That'll learn yer form mentioning Norfolk in a thread :)

Cheers,

Peter

• Admin

:DCheers Peter, some great shots there. I will leave you to it on your quest for news cuttings! :)  Best of luck, Bob.

Amazing! thanks everyone! so we even know the building where the photo was taken. So sad he died in Egypt - I managed to find the whereabouts of his grave out there kind regards tony

There is a little more on him on a Kiddermister Harriers fan site, interesting to see he volunteered for the Second Boer War.

James Stanley ‘Dick’ Garlick was one of Harriers’ greatest players during their first 25 years. Dick was the son of James and Annie Garlick, of 163 Chester Road, Kidderminster. He made his debut against Aston Villa Reserves in 1898. He went on to play in every position (including goalkeeper!) although half-back was his best position. He was transferred briefly to Football league side Burton Swifts in 1899. Garlick was one of the first local volunteers to enlist to fight in the Boer war, joining the Worcestershire Yeomanry in March 1900. On demobilisation he returned to Kidderminster and the Harriers. He was Club Captain right through the Edwardian period, and was ultimately awarded a testimonial match against Walsall in December 1907, raising £40. By this time he was landlord of the Bay Horse public house in Market Street, Kidderminster. He rejoined the Worcestershire Yeomanry at the start of the 1914-1918 conflict and on 11th April 1915 sailed from Avonmouth for Egypt, arriving in Alexandria on 22nd April. However, as a 35 year old Quartermaster Sergeant Dick Garlick died on active service (possibly of dysentery) on 9th June 1915 and buried in Tel El Kebir cemetery, Egypt.

http://www.harriers-online.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8581&sid=c60fd5a6cc76e1f4ad57d68c75dced8f&view=print

He also features on 19 online trees on ancestry (no photo shown), where the tree owners are contactable via the ancestry personal messaging system by any other ancestry subscriber.