The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Keyham Dock Devonport ?

BIFFO

where is Keyham dock,Devonport ?,

53rd Division sailed from there in 1915

gwf help :thumbsup:

Edited by BIFFO

Keyham village was originally just outside the dock wall and used for dock workers housing.

This is a modern map with a choice of three docks ! ,will have a look for older map.

8EF1C23E-ABAF-4E5F-A86C-C5E2680378C1.jpeg

Keyham Steam Yard was an extension of Devonport Dockyard, and is to the north of, er, South Yard. It’s still a working Yard (unlike South Yard).

One of the towers in the old gate (as seen in the attached photograph) is still standing, and is at the foot of Plymouth’s Albert Road (Devonport and Plymouth having amalgamated in 1914), though the entrance to the Yard has been moved around the corner.

http://www.olddevonport.uk/Royal%20Dockyard-Keyham%20Steam%20Yard.htm

Edited by Uncle George

Yes it was an extension upriver of the Royal Dockyard it opened in 1853 with 3 docks & 2 basins,further extended in 1898 with 3 graving pools ,opened 1907,linked to the main dock by a tunnel,now houses the Nuclear submarine base.

Top left hand corner of map shows part of Keyham Dock ,you can also see the dockyard wall around the original dockyard.

796E3A69-1AAA-4587-9160-10AF8858032D.jpeg

11 minutes ago, paul.pengelly said:

Top left hand corner of map shows part of Keyham Dock ,you can also see the dockyard wall around the original dockyard.

796E3A69-1AAA-4587-9160-10AF8858032D.jpeg

The wall and bastions to be seen in this map are the Town wall, not the Yard wall. The Yard wall can be seen marked in the attached, running along, er, Dock Wall Street. All of the Yard wall is still standing, but only a couple of stretches of the Town wall remain.

Cheers Uncle George can see it now ,bit of a give away with the street name,doh!
You from Plymouth by any chance?.My ancestors going back to around 1665 were from Plymouth but left about 1815 ,so I am a bit out of touch.

There’s a far better map from 1909 showing all of both  South Dock (Old) and the North Dock (Keyham) on Wikipedia under “HMNB Devonport” Shows all the docks basins etc just after the extensions.

26 minutes ago, paul.pengelly said:

Cheers Uncle George can see it now ,bit of a give away with the street name,doh!
You from Plymouth by any chance?.My ancestors going back to around 1665 were from Plymouth but left about 1815 ,so I am a bit out of touch.

There’s a far better map from 1909 showing all of both  South Dock (Old) and the North Dock (Keyham) on Wikipedia under “HMNB Devonport” Shows all the docks basins etc just after the extensions.

Yeah, brought up in Plymouth - my GGG Grandfather was born c.1807 in Plymouth Dock, which became Devonport, which became part of Plymouth, and all generations since. But 1665! How marvellous.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m a bit of a map nerd - the attached shows a few, dating from 1540 and including the Civil War ‘Siege Map’. I have the 1893 Ordnance Survey, and a wonderful 1810 detailed street map which shows every building.  

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/maps/mayflower.htm

Thank you chaps,:thumbsup:

The 'Three Towns' aspect was seemingly of great importance to the Tamar-siders at the time, as reflected by the local war memorials located in each town; something at the back of my mind recalls that Admiralty pressure stimulated and encouraged the formal unification of the towns prior to the Great War...

Edited by Petroc