Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German belt buckle tab - what's it for?

trajan

One of these, as in the attached photograph from the web (for reference only, not the one I am getting!) is on hold for me. I have other belt buckles without the tab, but now I am near to getting one I am wondering how this things works - i.e., what is it for? Any help greatly appreciated!

Julian

products-7c0685cae4f7f99f1826abd396ddd100.jpg

Julian,

An interesting question and one I'm unable to answer as buckles are not really an area of interest to me.  I have had a look in several books and they don't provide an answer to your question.  The only mention of the subject, after an admittedly brief search, is in an article from Militaria Magazine from 1991 where it says "Les plaques de fabrication reglementaire presentment souvent une pattelette de cuir sur laquelle on peut lire le nom du fabricant, l'annee de fabrication et parfois le matricule de l'unite".  The problem with that is I'm unable to find a translation for "pattelette" although it may mean something like leather tab or tongue.  Perhaps you can find a translation?

As you say, other belt buckles don't have the leather attachment.  Despite that they seem to function perfectly well.  It may be that the leather "tongue" is there merely to provide a place for the manufacturer's details, etc. but those details could equally be stamped in the metal as unit markings sometimes are.  

I do hope someone can provide a better reply.

Michael.

Here is a modern one but the same system. It protects the belly from the swivel I reckon.

IMG_6778.JPG

IMG_6779.JPG

IMG_6780.JPG

IMG_6781.JPG

Thanks all three! 

The daughter (currently interning in Paris) suggests pattelette is a 'tab', which seems about right! And Museum Tom's photograph explains a lot, as does the one shown at http://www.malcolmwagner.co.uk/world-war-one-imperial-german-belt-and-buckle-dated-1915/ Yes, a protector on the inner face.

I'll try to remember to post this one when it arrives.

Julian

Hi

It also assists in the adjustment of the belt belt as it is easier to pull the leather tab when trying to tighten the belt as opposed to manipulating the buckle 

Thanks Dave! I am getting the idea now.

Here is the said item. No marks except the two line marking on the tab which seems to refer to a HAMBURG maker.

Julian

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

There is a date there - 1916?

13 hours ago, GreyC said:

The year is 1915. Have not found a maker of that name nor any other name that would match Martin Jesso...

GreyC

Many thanks GreyC. I had assumed these grey metal ones were 1916+.