Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A squadron 1st Scottish Horse Yeomanry Kinloch Rannoch Detachment

Asqnscottishhorse

hey, thought i would join this page, just started a project relating to one detachment from the scottish horse. they were from the village i live in and im quite keen to trace the history of the detachment across the 50 years they existed.

i can also take photos of graves in the surrounding area to help people with there research as well

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is a ref: here on National archives to

Lines of Communication Troops: 1/1 Scottish Horse Field Ambulance (1917 May - 1919...

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557886

Not been digitised so would need a visit to Kew.

regards

Jon

thanks jonbem, the scottish horse ambulance is a different unit, it was based in inverness if i remember correctly.

Highland Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance, Rose Street, Inverness.

8 minutes ago, Asqnscottishhorse said:

hey, thought i would join this page, just started a project relating to one detachment from the scottish horse. they were from the village i live in and im quite keen to trace the history of the detachment across the 50 years they existed.

Part of A Squadron, I believe. Out of interest, do you know how many men comprised the detachment? Also, do you know where they drilled? I ask because I am trying to establish details of my local Hampshire Regiment TF detachment: obviously a Highland Yeomanry outfit will be very different but there might be similarities (you never know!)

at this time i do not, some squardons had alot more detachments than others. but think it might depend on the area

I'm planning a trip (or several) to the Hampshire Records Office in Winchester, where all the Hants TF records have been deposited. I hope that might shed some light. 

Scottish horse is local to me and the archives are approx 20 miles down the road. But compiling from other sources first 

• 2 years later...

I have been looking at my great uncle who was in A squadron and died in Gallipoli.  If you still interested, let me know. David

Mate,

Your chasing a black dog here, unless you can find the names then its hard to confirm them?

Having tried this with ALH Troops its hard to find men unless you have a list of name from another source?

For me it was a Troop Cpl who kept a list of his men in his diary and what happened to them, until he was wounded.

Since the Scottish Horse served all over, until you give some names its hard to see where we go?

I have many Scottish Horse soldiers in the Camel Corps, but who or where they came from is unknown with most.

I would think you should take a wonder (20 miles) down the road to see what they have on the Regt, then try to fill in the gaps from there.

S.B

Hi Steve, my grandmother's brother Private Robert Brown Johnstone , born in Edinburgh in 1894 Number: 3887 1/1 Scottish Horse, A Squadron (Private but mentioned in the field he was a Corporal). Died aged 21, 23 Oct 2015 in Gallipoli - Sulva Bay, we believe he was shot and the only person in the Scottish Horse Brigade to die that day.  David

• 11 months later...

Rosed

I have just done a general search on Scottish Horse and picked this up.

My grandfather served with the 1/2 Scottish Horse at Gallipoli so I was interested to see this.

Have you seen these two references?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/name/281398

There is a Robert Brown Johnstone on this splendid Bank of Scotland war memorial.  Photo: Imperial War Museum Website

image.png.93555ac1e870217549dd3288876e5c57.png

This is him on the commonwealth war graves commission website.

image.png.5bddaca14d4e8c7b19d94b0c0419f40e.png

Do you know when he joined the Scottish Horse, was he in the territorials before the war?

I know quite a lot about my grandfather's history and there are probably parallels.

Regards

INW

• Admin

@Rosed hasn’t visited the forum since last June. My tag might alert them to your post.