Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge ID

Hidden Stories

Hi,

This photo is of my great grandfather (seated on the right) and two other soldiers that shared a ward in Gloucester in October 1918.  I've identified the soldier seated on the left (Australian Private William Christopher Peek) but would now like to try to identify the soldier who is standing who I assume is British.  His name is written on the photo as W Olevant.  I think the cap badge will be key to identifying him, but I've not had any luck finding a similar badge online.  Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

IMG_2535.JPG.f0af0dfb2e3e01d64bbb5e2112b60367.JPG

I think Essex Regiment too, although the size of the scan makes the image poor.

637A2AC4-F7E0-4EFF-8C53-68BD20FFBB51.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, Buelligan said:

I thought it might be the South Wales Borderers (that, oddly enough, also includes a sphinx).

I did consider (examine) that option, but the large SWB lettering on the lower part of the badge is usually apparent even on a poor quality image.

Hi

??  Pte. 50045.W. A Olivant Essex Regt.,  Prev. 202241 N.Staffs.

William Arthur Olivant  SWB N0. 68222  Enlisted 11.12.15 disch. 20.12.18. aged 21.1/4 yrs....Photo taken Oct.18.

1911 at 20 Sneinton Dale, Notts with parents, George Arthur and Annie and 4 siblings and Uncle Charles Coates.

? Born 20.11.1897 d.24.1.1974 Married Nellie Brunt Jones  1924 Notts. 7b,870. 1939 @ 23 Whernside Rd., Arnold, Notts. Departmental Manager and Buyer, textiles. with wife. 1953 was a Departmental Manager, probate for father  George Arthur 130 Sneinton Dale, Notts.

William's brother was L/Cpl. James Herbert Olivant  M/287866 RASC, records on line. Public Tree on Ancestry BUT no military details.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector