Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified German hardware

Guest Airship

Hi

I have 2 photographs one of which is in postcard format and is a fieldpost for 1918? but i dont know what the vehicles are (one is a write off i suspect)

thanks in advance

Mark

post-23-1107988126.jpg

and this is the backs of the two items i have stretched the contrast a bit to improve the readability upeer one is in indelible pencil the lower is writen with an ordinary pencil.

(sorry about distorting the forum)

post-23-1107988302.jpg

The one above is a truck with an anti- aircraft gun mounted.

The second one is a wreckage of a Schneider tank i think, that is a French heavy tank.

That was quick! thanks bkristof.

I thought it might be a mobile Anti aircraft gun but i wasnt sure it was just a mobile gun that had been elevated high just for the picture.

I even found more.

I don't know the trucks used by the Germans. But the gun is probably a 80mm gun known as "Flak 102 Spezial". Let's say it is the mother of the famous WW2 88mm Flak gun.

The gun was introduced in 1917.

The tank is for 99% sure the French Scheinder tank.

13.5 tons (kg)

7 men

8km/h

on front a bit iron piece called rhino horn, to cut trough barb wire

2 machine guns as weapons

in some literature they say 4 mg's an one 75 mm gun, but i never saw a picture of that (they probably mixed up with the Saint Chaumont tank)

Fritz Nagel wrote about his time with a mobile AA gun. Mostly pretty quiet but at one point he and his crew drove out from a village into the open and opened quick fire on Australian machine gunners in a house. Nagel was operating in support of a Marine Division near Amiens during Operation Michael.

Robert

some literature they say 4 mg's an one 75 mm gun, but i never saw a picture of that

Here is a picture of the short barrelled 75mm howitzer housed off to the right-hand side.

Robert

thanks robert!