Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corps Signal Squadron WJ Supple RDF

GJW

Hi,

I am trying to trace the above soldier who died of disease and was buried in Marseilles (France) on 25th April 1915. Although he is list as 1st Battalion he was attached to the Corps signals squadron. I can find out little else on this soldier - have medal card and gratuity and Pensions Ledger. Is anybody able to suggest other places to look.

Thanks,

Gerard

It looks as if he became ill en route to Gallipoli

The 1st Battalion sailed from Avonmouth for Gallipoli on 16 March 1915, going via Alexandria and Mudros, where their transport anchored on 9 April. The Dubs landed off the River Clyde on 25th April. So he never arrived at Mudros

The War Diary is not going to help. His Death Cert would only add what he actually died of

What are you looking for, his life before he enlisted, or his life (short that it was) between enlisting and death?

Looks as if Birth Reg is in Baltinglass Reg. District 4Q 1885.

1901 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000898780/

The Irish National Roll of Honour introduces the middle name Joseph and gives PoB as Moone

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56575048/su

There is a William Supple in 1 RDF in India in 1911 census. Birthplace Athy here. This seem likely to be him as Athy is just down the road from Moone

Edited by Mark1959

15 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Looks as if Birth Reg is in Baltinglass Reg. District 4Q 1885.

1901 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000898780/

The Irish National Roll of Honour introduces the middle name Joseph and gives PoB as Moone

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56575048/su

There is a William Supple in 1 RDF in India in 1911 census. Birthplace Athy here. This seem likely to be him as Athy is just down the road from Moone

Thanks Mark,

Yes he was born in Timolin which is right beside Moone and yes that is him in the Indian Census. Struggling on his service history as usual. Very little available as usual.

Gerard

2 hours ago, corisande said:

The 1st Battalion sailed from Avonmouth for Gallipoli on 16 March 1915, going via Alexandria and Mudros, where their transport anchored on 9 April. The Dubs landed off the River Clyde on 25th April. So he never arrived at Mudros

The War Diary is not going to help. His Death Cert would only add what he actually died of

What are you looking for, his life before he enlisted, or his life (short that it was) between enlisting and death?

Thank you C,

I predominately looking for his service history. I will take anything though. I am putting together a short history of those who served from the area.

Gerard

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

There is a William Supple in 1 RDF in India in 1911

If he was still with the 1st RDF in late 1914, then they left Bombay on 19th November that year: Lt-Col Rooth, with HQ plus 6 companies on the Malda

while Maj Fetherstonhaugh with A & B Companies sailed on the Assaye

They sailed via Suez and docked at Plymouth on 21st December 1914

Details from 'Beneath a Turkish Sky' by Philip Lecane (a member of this forum - Oak)

Edited by michaeldr

11 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

If he was still with the 1st RDF in late 1914, then they left Bombay on 19th November that year: Lt-Col Rooth, with HQ plus 6 companies on the Malda

while Maj Fetherstonhaugh with A & B Companies sailed on the Assaye

They sailed via Suez and docked at Plymouth on 21st December 1914

Details from 'Beneath a Turkish Sky' by Philip Lecane (a member of this forum - Oak)

Thank you Michael. Starting to piece things together.

10 hours ago, corisande said:

Do you know where I could about getting a death cert or were they issued at this time?

This is the ref to quote . Your man I assume is the bottom

supple.jpg.1ce38753c8132ef74403c082b812b4b3.jpg

You just buy the cert online from UK GRO as you would any other cert for which you have the ref

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

Edited by corisande

Philip [Oak on this forum] Lecane's book on the 1st RDF 'Beneath a Turkish Sky' is meticulously researched and yet he has no mention of the RDF's troopships calling at Marseilles, either on their way from India to the UK in 1914, or on their way from the UK to the Dardanelles in 1915.

[He mentions Corp. Mark Adams who died 26 November 1914 and was buried at sea. Also Pvt. Peter Kavanagh who died on 28 March and was also buried at sea.]

I suggest a PM to Oak to see if he can throw any light on this particular death and why the man was in Marseilles at that time

You are correct in saying that the 1st Dubs did not appear to stop at Marseilles en-route to Gallipoli.

Having read the War Diary of 1srt RDF - click for Ancestry link - they appear to have gone directly from Avonmouth on 16 Mar 1915 , landing Alexandria on 29 Mar.

Oddly there is nothing in WD between leaving camp to embark, and a burial at sea on 28 Mar. I thought that maybe there was a missing page , but it does look as the narrative of the voyage was not recorded. I don't know if 13 days to sail to Alexandria was normal. I thought that the transports usually stopped somewhere to refuel

3 minutes ago, corisande said:

I thought that the transports usually stopped somewhere to refuel

Per Oak's book, they stopped at Malta for coaling at am on 24th, departing 0730 hrs 26th March

Edit to note that this specifically refers to Ausonia

Edited by michaeldr

On 20/01/2020 at 01:03, GJW said:

Although he is list as 1st Battalion he was attached to the Corps signals squadron.

Corps signals squadron?

What exactly does the above mean?

As this chap is not mentioned in either of the books by Lecane or Hogarty,

is the "Corps signals squadron" [whatever that means] the line to follow?

As far as I can see there are few ways of getting the Corps WD without this sort of purchase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gallipoli-Diaries-Headquarters-Infantry-Brigade-ebook/dp/B01NCZ5RYX

Perhaps someone knows a way to get them off Ancestry

I'm not sure that this man has anything to do with the 1st RDF at Gallipoli

He died in Marseilles, France, on the same day that the battalion landed on the Turkish peninsula at the other extreme of the Mediterranean. There is no evidence (seen so far) that he was even on the transport carrying them to the Dardanelles theatre in March 1915

A wild guess, but, as he was with the RDF in India and Indian troops heading for France landed at Marseilles – is it possible that he had transferred to an Indian unit while the rest of the 1st RDF returned to the UK?

If the OP can explain what they mean by Corps signal squadron then that might help

[On Gallipoli, VIII Corps was not established until May/June 1915, and IX Corps even later]

On 20/01/2020 at 01:03, GJW said:

buried in Marseilles (France) on 25th April 1915

Always pays to cross check

see doc2330141.JPG

looks to me like 25.4.18 on the Graves Registration Report Form

Edited by michaeldr

17 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Yes, evokes a mix of :angry2: and :)

11 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Corps signals squadron?

What exactly does the above mean?

As this chap is not mentioned in either of the books by Lecane or Hogarty,

is the "Corps signals squadron" [whatever that means] the line to follow?

This where I got the information on Corps Signal Squadron - otherwise I have no idea what it means.

image.png.285776839ec106828fdeb833b0bc92b1.png

9 hours ago, michaeldr said:

see doc2330141.JPG

looks to me like 25.4.18 on the Graves Registration Report Form

This is very interesting - His Pensions Card says 1915.

9 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Agreed

I'll leave it to the OP to correct the CWGC 

OP? sorry still new to this 

On 20/01/2020 at 18:58, corisande said:

This is the ref to quote . Your man I assume is the bottom

supple.jpg.1ce38753c8132ef74403c082b812b4b3.jpg

You just buy the cert online from UK GRO as you would any other cert for which you have the ref

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

Would the death cert clarify date of death? if so I will purchase

This is a cutting from our local paper published in 1917. It says he died in 1916 although also says 2nd Anniversary (suggesting the year given was a typo) and that he died in 1915. Certainly not 1918.

image.png.c2231fd71428af837b0ab37a0889058a.png

8 hours ago, GJW said:

OP? sorry still new to this 

Opening Poster - the person who started the thread.

Dave

Edited by depaor01

Thank you - figured it was me alright :)

Hi,

Is anyone available to help on who were the Corps Signal Squadron. I am doing research on the the soldier below. Although it says he was with the 1st Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers, it appears they were no where near Marseilles around this date. Therefore I am hoping the answer lies with his attachment to Corps Signal Squadron. I was informed the 29th Div. was not part of a corps at this time.

I am lost and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Gerard

image.png.733b9c399eaf6869af97b042ff047e74.png

image.png

According to Howard Williamson's medal collector's companion vol3 there were two Corps Signal Companies (amongst a number of RE signal units) that took part in Gallipoli operations. Perhaps @collectorsguide can help clarify exactly where this fits in the reporting heirarchy ?

Qualified signallers from Infantry units were often attached to RE signal units.

Supple was a prewar regular from 1906/7, joining on a 5/7 basis, I believe.

Given that Supple died in Marseille of 'disease' 25/4/15 (Pension Card) it is clear that he never made it to Gallipoli but fell ill in transit from UK ?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962