Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking Flt Sgt S W Birch (Service No. 4174)

Buffnut453

I'm trying to find details about Flt Sgt S W Birch but am struggling even to find his name.  He appears in the RAF Muster Roll from 1918.  According to the National Roll for the Great War, he volunteered in 1915 and embarked for France in 1916.  He reportedly was still serving in 1920.  A "W. Birch" with the same service number also appears in a list of deserters dated from September 1919. 

Alas, none of these sources provide his forenames, date of birth or any other details about him.  Unusually, I've also failed to find his service record.  

Do any of the experts here have suggestions for how I might uncover his name or other details about him?  I'd particularly like to access his service record if it's available online.  Any ideas would be very welcome.  

Many thanks,
Mark

And therein lies the rub.  I need his full name and date of birth to apply for the record, neither of which I can find.  

Frustratingly, I believe he appears in some family photos but there are 3 Flt Sgts and I can't pin down which one is him.

Amazingly, between 1880 and 1901 there were only 4 births registered:

Sidney Walter 3/Q 1890 Elham

Samuel William 1/Q 1895 Edmonton

Sidney William 4/Q 1900 Walsall

Sidney Walter J 4/Q 1900 Wandsworth

There is a casualty card for him - shown as 4174 S Birch, wounded as observer with 20Sq on 15.11.16

The 20Sq records or Brigade records may help (20Sq records only seem to start in 1917, other than extracts in AIR 1/1358/204/20/3)

Not sure if the RAF Museum has detailed casualty cards for enlisted men but try them

Samuel William of Edmonton would look a good candidate given that the NatRoll has the Edmonton address as does the Daily Casualty List.

It could be him that married 1922 Edmonton to Maud E Ball. Perhaps the Marriage Cert shows his profession ? Then the birth cert gives you the date you need.

Same man died 1986 44 Warren Drive St Peters Broadstairs Kent per Probate 1887; Death cert says born 5/12/1894. This fits with reg'n Q1 1895. (Maud had died Thanet 1960)

But won't MoD give you a copy of  AIR 79/54/4174 for the usual fee ?

Charlie

Hi All

1911 Samuel William, 16 yrs, cycle maker's assistant living with his parents, Henry and Catherine  and 8 siblings at 25 Lowden Road. Nat Roll has him later at 33. ???.. Samuel's marr. cert no. is 3a, 1233. Edmonton.

Regards Barry

Wow...go to work and the collective cognoscenti have provided so many potential leads.  Many thanks Diane, Nieuport11, Charlie and Barry.

Looks like I at least have enough to go on to obtain his service record if I decide to go down that path.  Unfortunately, the name and DOB didn't bring up any image search results on Ancestry or even Google, so I may have to try the service record route in hopes it contains a physical description of him.