Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Butcher Manchester Regiment

Carol65

Hello we are tracing our grandads army history as he died before we were born ,his name was Herbert butcher and he was sent to the Manchester regiment,he enlisted on 12 th July 1916 and was at Fullwood barracks at Preston.he was sent to France 6th feb 1918 .he was captured on 5th January 1919 and sent to a salt mine ,we have 3 regiment numbers for him 3464.  44678. 484862 ,can anyone help with how to trace him please x

Carol

Herberts Service papers are On Ancestry 

If not a subscriber they can be viewed in your local Library 

)r you can take out a fortnights free trail  but don' forget to cancel before the fortnight is up 

Herbert was taken as a prisoner of war on the 15th April 1918 

and repatriated on the 5th of January 1919

anything you don't understand  on the service papers 

just ask away i am sure the forum pals will assist

Ray

and welcome to the forum

We were told Herbert was a stretcher bearer and when he came home he only had 20% vision left ,he died aged 39 of menengitis .we were also told he was strapped to a cannon and it was fired because he didn’t want to carry a gun,he was very religious and my sister believes he was sent to a Siberian salt mine ,thank you for your previous messages ,if anyone else has any other information about him we would be very grateful,you have told us more today than we have discovered in a few years x

Edited by Carol65
Need to include information

1 hour ago, 8055Bell said:

Hi Carol,

The POW data base for the Manchesters Forum indicates Herbert was serviving with A Company of 16th Bttn and captured at St Quentin on 21st March.  This would mean he was taken prisoner at the infamous Manchester Hill.

You would be very welcome to ask more on the forum.

Tim

Tim is correct captured at St Quentin 21 /3/18

confirmed by his ICRC  record which can be found HERE

enter the Pa number shown into the box which will show further info 

Held at Cassel Pow camp

The date 15th April 18 will be the date that the british gov were informed that he was a POW

Edit From the link posted above scroll down to Manchester's and click

find his entry then enter the Pa number from his ICRC card

Edited by RaySearching
adding info

The list from 20.05.1918 shows he was transferred from Cassel to Hameln, not that he was being held at Cassel.

Charlie

Thank you so much ,we are gaining so much information from everyone,can’t tell you how much it means to us sisters as we never met him but miss him x

• spof changed the title to Herbert Butcher Manchester Regiment
  • Admin

I've merged this with your existing thread to avoid confusion and repetition of answers.

Michelle 

Carol,

I‘m not sure where French PoW camps come into it, he was held prisoner by the Germans in Germany. Are you confusing Cassel in France with Kassel in Germany which spelled Cassel till the 1920s.

Charlie

I found a piece of info that said the 16th batallion were held at metz which was in Strasbourg,lazarett saint clement so I wondered if there were any salt mines near as we know he was sent to work in them,ive been informed he was sent to cassel then Hameln and the only thing I can find is a pow camp for xv1 army corps is the French one x