Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Grandmothers husband

Dan hood

He appears to have been producing children  with Kittle until 1937, but has moved in with another woman by 1939 Register

I cannot find a marriage to Ms Whiteman who appears in 1939

Surname  First name(s)  Mother  District  Vol  Page 

Births Sep 1914   (>99%)
DOUGHTY  Oive G E  Kittle  Yarmouth  4b 59  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Sep 1919   (>99%)
Doughty  Robert E J  Kittle  Docking  4b 367  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Sep 1922   (>99%)
Doughty  Doreen E H  Kittle  Docking  4b 426  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Mar 1927   (>99%)
Doughty  Ralph J  Kittle  Walsingham  4b 358  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Jun 1936   (>99%)
Doughty  Shirley J  Kittle  Docking  4b 334  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

I was just going to say that Olive was living in Burnham Market in 1939 with another gentleman.

With Doreen, Ralph, Rosemary(?) and presumably 2 other children, one of whom I presume is Shirley.

In 1939 they were living 10 Sutton estate Burnham Market.My Grandmother had 7 children 4 with Robert Doughty and 3 with George large . I'm guessing after the great war people change. People slowly drifted apart?

19 minutes ago, Dan hood said:

I'm guessing after the great war people change. People slowly drifted apart?

That's quite true.

Or maybe quite quickly.

OK I can see now what was happening - her name got transcribed as "Kettle" not "Kittle"

The last child with Doughty (Ralph) was in early 1927

and the first child with Large (Rosemary)  was in late 1930

However as she never married Large, she continued to register the children as "Doughty", presumably to avoid them being "illegitimate" on the birth certs. As she was still married to Doughty she merely had to turn up at the registrars, show he marriage cert to Doughty and the children would be registered as Doughty's without him ever knowing

It is difficult to see if Doughty had any more children with other women as the name is toocommon

Surname  First name(s)  Mother  District  Vol  Page 

Births Dec 1930   (>99%)
Doughty  Rosemary J  Kettle  Docking  4b 356  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Dec 1932   (>99%)
Doughty  Mary E  Kettle  Docking  4b 317

btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Yer you got it my mum was Mary Elizabeth 4 Sept 1932, Do you know when she got married in 1962 she even put her dad's name down as George Henry Doughty instead of Large like it should of been. Sadly I had all the family docs stolen ( long story) including there certificate. Joining site's like these make you realise there will good people in the world.