Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Grandmothers husband

Dan hood

Thank you all again for your help with my last query, you all know your stuff! The photo is of my grandmother's husband, they separated in the late 1920s and never divorced. So she never married my granddad. Not 100% on his first name but I think it was Robert, What I do know is surname is Doughty and he served in the Norfolk regiment. He has chevron's and a downward stripe on his forearm.photo taken in India in about 1919-20 My grandmother's maiden name was kittle she was born in West flegg Norfolk Olive Evelyn  13th April 1893. She must of married around the start of the war they had four children Olive,Robert , Doreen, and Ralph. 

IMG_20200122_141948.jpg

Listed as wounded 06/09/1917 next of kin, Great Yarmouth 

Admitted again 21/08/1918 gun shot wound neck. 

London Gazette 22/01/1916:

For conspicuous gallantry on the night of 1st December, 1915, near Mametz. When a German mine had been exploded, he volunteered to be lowered down the shaft and brought an unconscious man to the surface. The air was foul with gas fumes but he remained a l..... 

Edited by James123

Dan, ForeignGong has posted the web page.  Scroll down and read the text he found for you:

image.png.4d15fbf919ff2db43fb30b5aaf565291.png

Hi,

He is mentioned in the Battalion war diary entry for 1.12.1915 - Ancestry link

image.png.6d83a906b56873d872b7fd3a67f6c62c.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

MC for Burlton...

image.png.30264e1e761ce304c1a80c4a1caff7c6.png

Image sourced from the National Archives

DCM for Dunbabin,,,

image.png.edb50793fb634f85bf0cd40177c793b1.png

Image sourced from the National Archives

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

This may be him in 1939 (dob May 6th 1882 - fits with age at attestment in 1901), living in Norwich CB, Norfolk.

Agricultural labourer and disabled serviceman.

Married to Rose E. (nee Whiteman).

And death although age is wrong:

Deaths Jun 1965   (>99%)
DOUGHTY  ROBERT G  70  Norwich  4b 668  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Not sure he only separated from my grandmother, so I'm not sure how he remarried. My grandmothers maiden name was kittle they got married 1913. Yes he lived in Norwich. I believe he worked in a cinema /special policeman? My aunt's who was mum's half sister use to talk about him. Thanks for all you research!

11 minutes ago, Dan hood said:

Not sure he only separated from my grandmother, so I'm not sure how he remarried. My grandmothers maiden name was kittle they got married 1913. Yes he lived in Norwich. I believe he worked in a cinema /special policeman? My aunt's who was mum's half sister use to talk about him. Thanks for all you research!

Remarriage was very easy if you were somewhere away from those who knew you were married. Just make the declaration and no one was any the wiser.

Craig