Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More 1907 Bayonet Markings

Chris Ludlam

Hi,

Can anybody confirm the identify of the following unit marking on a 1907 Bayonet?

Letter T with 6. LD. under. See photo. 

My immediate thought was 6th Light Dragoons but not sure as I believe the nearest match is the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons therefore would probably not have LD markings. 

IMG_20200122_141609.jpg

Hello Chris,

Fairly sure it’s for the 6th London regiment...a territorial regiment hence the T.

Dave.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/london-regiment/

Certainly Territorial as Dave says, and I guess he's right on with the LonDon - but I don't have my books or files available... What date is it? Who is the maker?

Trajan

Chris,

the thread below has a pdf of unit markings taken from the 1912 instructions for armourers...it’s one I have bookmarked...extremely useful.

Dave.

25 minutes ago, Chris Ludlam said:

Thanks Dave66 and trajan

I had not thought of a London Regiment. 

Maker is Wilkinson and it is dated 1917

Aa-ha! Probably WILKINSON / PALL MALL with the Pall Mall scrubbed out. Whatever, 1917 is a late date for a bayonet to be unit-marked (I think!) 

1/6th (City of London) Battalion (Rifles)
……………………..
31 January 1918 : transferred to 174th Brigade in 58th (2/1st London) Division, absorbed the disbanded 2/6th Bn and renamed 6th Bn.

Although the 1/6th and 2/6th became the 6th Battalion on the above date I think that these T for Territorial marks are post WW1.

Cheers,

Tony