Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

26th clearing hospital, Suvla 1915

stuannmc

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the 26th Clearing Hospital at Suvla?

My Grandfather was sent there after being wounded Suvla Bay,  September 1915.

Any information would be appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

Ann

Possibly the 26th Casualty Clearing Station? If you Google that phrase a few results come up.

There were no fixed hospitals at Gallipoli as far as I recall - wounded were transported (in hospital ships if need be) back to Mudros on the island of Lemnos.

sJ

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Possibly the 26th Casualty Clearing Station

The position of the 26th CCS is indicated on this map - near 'A' Beach

1563903101_mapSuvlaMedicalposts.jpg.09781bb9ba972c1a2c90e71fe09eb720.jpg

My Grandfather arrived back in England nearly 1 month later. I am interested in finding out what his movements would have been from the CCS?

Malta?

Thanks

After Mudros, or possibly without stopping at Mudros depending on the nature of his wound, Malta or Alexandria (again depending on the nature / severity of the wound) and then onward to England.

I can't at the moment lay hands on the memoir I have which details the length of the voyage from Plymouth to Mudros.

No trouble. What documentation do you have of your grandfather's service? Given a name and unit it should be possible to track something down if you haven't found it already.

His service records don't have too much information,  it says that he was wounded by a sniper 2 Sept 1915 at Suvla(he was in the 9th West York when they landed at Sulva Bay, August 1915)  and he returned home to England 8 October 1915.

New information found on 'Forces War records' that he was sent  "to 26th Clg. Hospital, Royal Army Medical Corps."

That's all I know. 

I owe you an apology. At the top of the Long Long Trail entry on CCS (Casualty Clearing Stations) it says "Until 9 January 1915 these units were known as Clearing Hospitals." That may have been the official date but evidently the old usage persisted beyond January in some areas.

So Michaeldr's map with the 26th CCS is still relevant to your grandfather's experience.