Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th West Yorkshire Regt -H Thompson

stuannmc

Hi,

I am hoping someone maybe able to help me... 

I am researching my Great Uncle, Harry Thompson, service no: 56108, 8th West Yorkshire Regt .

I have a postcard that he sent his family from Lamsdorf (Germany)POW camp December 1918. He was released from the camp January 1919. 

I am trying to ascertain his movements leading up to his time in the camp, but am having difficulty finding any information regarding his service.

I would be grateful if anyone has any information regarding the 8th Battalion and the possible movements leading up to these dates.

Many thanks, 

Ann

FWR has three records one reports him missing on 18/11/18 and another says his release date was 31/01/19 as POW.

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/14301224/private-harry-thompson-west-yorkshire-regiment/

George

Thankyou for your help. 

I have found a record for when he joined the A.S.C, 7 Jan 1916 until 24 July 1916 .

But I cannot find his record of service for the West York Regt. which he joined 15 April 1918(according to the MIC).

I only have access to Ancestry and Find my Past and cannot seem to find his service record for the WYR.

Any suggestions as to where I may find this record?

Thanks !!

Edited by stuannmc

6 hours ago, stuannmc said:

Thankyou for your help. 

Although I am now a little confused....I have found a record for when he joined the A.S.C, 7 Jan 1916 until 24 July 1916 .

But I cannot find his record of service for the West York Regt. which he joined 15 April 1918(according to the MIC).

I only have access to Ancestry and Find my Past and cannot seem to find his service record for the WYR.

Any suggestions as to where I may find this record?

Thanks !!

There's a significant chance that the other record no longer exists - if it's not on Ancestry or FMP then you can be pretty certain this is the case here.

Craig

He is recorded on the ICRC Record (46108 should be 56108) under Limburg

It tells you he was taken Cambrai 27/9/18 with C Company of 8th West Yorks. various wounds

1494092104_GWFThompsonHWYorksICRC.JPG.a87b527dff14836e90b6f048a9b193cb.JPG

Charlie

Several others of the 8th W Yorks were taken Cambrai that day, incl:  (source ICRC)

Cyril Full 201985 C Coy wounded (a second record says taken Marcoyne and to the Lazerette at Coln)

Leonard Hardy 60725 B Coy wounded

Willie Helliwell 235782 A Coy

and a Lt Robert Lacey  Aubrey Tingle, 8th West Yorks, taken Marconig 27/9/18  (formerly Pte 28807, comm 28/5/18)

Edited by charlie962

17 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Where exactly did he and his family live?...sometimes street names, villages or district can help turn up facts....never guaranteed though.

Hi,

He lived at 105 Jack lane,Leeds. 

14 hours ago, charlie962 said:

He is recorded on the ICRC Record (46108 should be 56108) under Limburg

It tells you he was taken Cambrai 27/9/18 with C Company of 8th West Yorks. various wounds

1494092104_GWFThompsonHWYorksICRC.JPG.a87b527dff14836e90b6f048a9b193cb.JPG

Charlie

Several others of the 8th W Yorks were taken Cambrai that day, incl:  (source ICRC)

Cyril Full 201985 C Coy wounded (a second record says taken Marcoyne and to the Lazerette at Coln)

Leonard Hardy 60725 B Coy wounded

Willie Helliwell 235782 A Coy

and a Lt Robert Lacey  Aubrey Tingle, 8th West Yorks, taken Marconig 27/9/18  (formerly Pte 28807, comm 28/5/18)

That is fantastic!! Thankyou so much!!

Thankyou so much for all you help. I really appreciate it, such interesting reading.  You have helped me fill in some gaps with my family research. 

The postcard I have that Harry sent his family was from Lamsdorf  camp,  December 1918, but the ICRC record says Limburg. Would I be correct in thinking that he was transferred from Limburg to Lamsdorf? Was it common to move the prisoners around? 

Thanks again, appreciate everyones input!

I think that Limburg was, as well as an actual camp, used as an administrative and clearing centre ?

There are a number of threads on these camps if you search the forum for Limburg or Lamsdorf;

This forum pal might be able to help ?

@charlie2

Edited by charlie962

As Charlie 962 has correctly said Limburg was a PoW Camp and an admin centre. Prisoners had to be registered somewhere and Limburg was one of the places that PoWs were registered before they were assigned to a permanent camp, usually as they were being either treated in hospital or being used as forced labour behind the lines.

In this soldiers case, judging by his condition and the date of the list, I am pretty sure he was in hospital at the time the list was drawn up and was later transferred to Lamsdorf. My thinking is confirmed by others on the list that are recorded as having no known permanent camp (Stlgr unbekannt) or are recorded as being from various other permanent camps (eg Stlgr Friedrichsfeld) Scroll up to PA40309 and you will see what I mean.

In case you are wondering, he was wounded by shell fragments/Schrapnell to his left and right upper arms and head.

Charlie2

Edited by charlie2

thanks for prompt response charlie2.

Looking at the other West Yorks that I noted taken that day, they were all wounded (which is one of the comments made in the War Diary) and some have a subsequent sheet that shows they went to other camps. The absence of a second sheet is probably just admin muddle.

eg Helliwell-  on PA40310 for Limburg then on PA42006 for Stargard dated 22/11/18

Charlie (962)

Thankyou both! Such interesting information. 

I am really grateful for your input and help with this.