Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

53rd victim of the red Barron

cooky

A lad from my home town was the observer in a plane shot down and crashing at Stray Farm (Pilkem Ridge) in late June 1917. The wreckage burnt after hitting the ground subsequently both crew members were unidentified. 

My question is ,

Are there any burials of unknown airmen buried nearby or elsewhere recovered from this location ?

Tough one I know but if anyone can you lot can.

Cooky.

Andy, 

in deed, a very good question.  I would suggest to look at where Stray Farm is on a trench map and then look at a modern map for the CWGC Cemeteries around it.  But I think that you will have to look at the bigger cemeteries i.e. Hooge, Tyne Cot etc.  

it would be handed if you had the map reference to Stray Farm in 1917 

Alan

Mate,

I sure someone has checked this before as most have looked into the Red Barons kills

53 18 Jun 1917 1315 JG I Albatros D.III R.E.8 (A4290)

Hof Struywe, Square V.42

CEFSG Sharing Resources with GWF, SAWGP, ANZAC, INDIA, etc.

By laughton,  2 July , 2015 in Recovering the Fallen

have a look at the above as it, will have the COB and GRRF for the bigger cemeteries 

I have not got the map ref for Stray Farm but it is located on the right of the Pilkem to Langemark road heading towards Langemark. 

Cement House cemetery seems a good starting point. What do you think ? 

Cooky

Stray Farm 28.C.3.c.2.7 Trench Map Edition 6A, Trench Correction Date 30 June 1917.

You will want to read Trevor's details on page 97 of his book The Sky Their Battlefield II as there seems to be some question as to the location and fate of the aircraft (A4290 & A4617) on 18 June 1917 and who (or what) shot which plane down.

If the remains were recovered, they could be in any number of cemeteries, as they were not always concentrated into the closest cemetery. If the recovery was sometime after the armistice they could be in the "cemetery that was open for concentrations" at that particular time. Alan is steering you on the correct course, so go to the CWGC site and look at the map if you check on cemeteries near Pilckem, or use this simple code and enter the community name:

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-nearby-cemeteries?location=Pilckem

That tells you that Cement House and Artillery Wood are your best initial shot:

1349676282_StrayFarmBelgium28.C.3.c.2.7.jpg.20971243c147318c5a0c8a65e4ac1d05.jpg