Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1902 Sealed Pattern Service Dress example.

Toby Brayley

Hello, on a recent research trip to the Imperial War Museum reserve collection held at Duxford, I was fortunate enough to get to handle and photograph their 1902 Service Dress "Sealed Pattern". This was the 1st incarnation of the Service Dress  of January 1902. Points to note; the removable shoulder straps, red for infantry and yellow for cavalry, cloth shoulder titles (sadlyit appears the blue on yellow title of the cavalry was removed many years ago),  the large false box pleat in the rear, single hook and eye closure,  larger collar and rather surprisingly a single dart at the collar.  In February 1902 the collar was reduced by 1 inch  and in December of 1902 the rear box pleat was removed. 

You will have to excuse my latex gloved hands appearing in some of the photos!  I can not thank the staff enough for how helpful they were. 

846030244_1902sd1.jpg.35c4cbdf49a7c0e5cc972d7d9482606d.jpg

1388861367_1902sd2.jpg.d13dc28fb588d89bfb4499d930c3a5a2.jpg

261155909_1902SD3.jpg.46b3dd55d2e0137dca7f0a1882bb8d47.jpg

660316255_1902sd5.jpg.f333767d90c4317c41da0b8b73743977.jpg

89042622_1902sd4.jpg.4506ad1973cb6e5d0bc3b51835d0c8ec.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Interesting photos, Toby, thank you for posting.  What a pity that the cavalry title was not returned to its original place. It’s very useful to see the large crown that was originally used for the staff sergeant/colour sergeant badge of rank.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 21/01/2020 at 10:02, Toby Brayley said:

Hello, on a recent research trip to the Imperial War Museum reserve collection held at Duxford, I was fortunate enough to get to handle and photograph their 1902 Service Dress "Sealed Pattern". This was the 1st incarnation of the Service Dress  of January 1902. Points to note; the removable shoulder straps, red for infantry and yellow for cavalry, cloth shoulder titles (sadlyit appears the blue on yellow title of the cavalry was removed many years ago),  the large false box pleat in the rear, single hook and eye closure,  larger collar and rather surprisingly a single dart at the collar.  In February 1902 the collar was reduced by 1 inch  and in December of 1902 the rear box pleat was removed. 

You will have to excuse my latex gloved hands appearing in some of the photos!  I can not thank the staff enough for how helpful they were. 

Great images Toby - thanks for these.

I don't suppose you took any pictures of the interior - ID pocket etc - by any chance?

Cheers,

GT.

20 hours ago, Grovetown said:

I don't suppose you took any pictures of the interior?

GT.

I did but sadly they have corrupted, it has never happened before! I am trying to recover them and will share. 

Regards

Toby 

Musicians from the 2nd Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) Band wearing early pattern 1902 Pattern Service Dress, with removable shoulder straps.

This photograph includes 2772 Private J E Emmett, 2nd Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) who saw 13 years service before being discharged in August, 1902, after service during the Anglo Boer War. He is probably the Private wearing the three Good Conduct stripes (seated on our far left).

The man sitting next to Private Emmett, together with the seated Corporal, appear to have a large collars, possibly indicating a first pattern 1902 Service Dress. Others, except the two men reclining in the front, are wearing 1902 Service dress with smaller collars

Emmett re-enlisted in 1903 and continue to serve, with the Army Service Corps, until his final discharge in 1919 after 29 years service.

Sepoy

queens.jpg

It’s yet another superb photo, as it appears to show the transition from 1899 drab SD (skirt pockets), through the 1901 pattern (chest pockets) and then to the initial and subsequent 1902 patterns (chest and skirt pockets).

Edited by FROGSMILE

On the subject of mixed Service Dress, I recently picked up this photograph  of Hospital Medical Staff in South Africa c1902. Taken sometime just after the 2nd ABW. The image was in poor condition when it arrived but with a bit of digital wizardry comes out rather well.

It is interesting to note the variation in Serge Frocks and Jackets, 1899 Serge (with collar badges) and various style of drab pocketed frocks and KD. Those with good eyes will spot VERY early use of "1902" Service Dress with detachable shoulder boards, further proof that it did make its way to South Africa. Lots to look at here!

694404495_BWMEdical.jpg.e96212e17ae0198929ab1d581a1d4c54.jpg

Super picture.  Those nurses don't look as if they would have had much of a bedside manner!

NB.  It's interesting that none of the drab, peaked forage caps, appear to have a badge.

Edited by FROGSMILE