Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Katherine T. Kane, US Navy Yeoman

Jim Strawbridge

Katherine T. Kane was an US Navy Yeoman serving in Philadelphia when she died on the 9th February 1920. I am trying to establish where she was buried. A Veteran's Burial Card exists which may help. Any ideas?.

Yeoman 2nd Class Katherine Teresa Kane USNRF who died on the 9th February 1920 was born 13th August 1888 and enlisted 14th October 1918 according to her Veterans Administration Master Card held on the familysearch site. The address shown of 1949 South Ithan Street, West Philadephia, Pennsylvania is I believe her home address rather than necessarily where she died.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP2W-VYXN

By co-incidence there is also a death record for a Katherine Tressa Kane, born 23rd October 1889, died 18th October 1918, a Nurse RANC Base Hospital, so you may need to exercise caution when looking for records. Her address links her to Iowa.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP2W-VS9K

As Katherine Teresa was 30 when she enlisted then very likely she was unmarried with a very small chance of being a widow. Given her age there is also the possibility that her parents were dead, leaving it doubtful there would have been anyone to request Veterans memorial headstone – normally another source of records as to place of burial.

There doesn’t appear to be a clear match in the earlier civil records that are available online – Pennsylvania Birth records and the 1910 US Census. The latter has several Katherine Kane’s of the right age, but the only one in Philadelphia was a Katherine E.

Can’t see her in the online Pennsylvania Cemetery records.

http://www.interment.net/us/pa/index.htm

Will have another think but hopefully a middle name and date of birth takes you one very small step further.

Cheers,

Peter

• Admin

Jim

Thanks to Peter's middle name clue I have found her on FMP. Buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery, Delaware County, Pennsylvania Section 3, lot 55, grave 3.

Image courtesy of FMP

David

image.png

1.  Pennsylvania Veterans Burial Cards:

Kane.jpg.128b7d00fb53e4b526d8deec627de85a.jpg

2.  If you can access Newspapers.com (7-day free trial), there appears to be an Obituary in the Philadelphia Enquirer on 11th and 12th February 1920. 

From their Obituary Index:

1071176829_11Feb.jpg.cd0bfa917676536511e0a913aebc80e9.jpg

1415015453_12Feb.jpg.7bc1dc5ba3b72ad313fecdb3f5955a0e.jpg

3.  Uploaded images courtesy of ancestry

JP

PRC, David Owen and helpjpl

Thank you to all three of you. I have the 1900 and 1920 US census for the family and quite a bit more but the last resting place for her was eluding me. Whilst researching this woman I came across obituaries for the other Katherine T. Kane (from Iowa) who was also a casualty. She seems to have been missed by many. She had been a US Red Cross nurse at Fort Sill, Oklahoma and died at home after a week's illness (probably Spanish 'flu)..