Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Proto Type Helmet

Ryan K

I have done so much research but cannot find the type of brodie helmet this is. Can someone please tell me what my helmet is? Any questions about the helmet please ASK.

image (12).jpg

image (13).jpg

image (14).jpg

image (15).jpg

Ryan,

Welcome to the forum.

The split pins holding the bales to the shell, indicate that this is a British-made helmet, rather than an American product.

Also, the relatively narrow D-rings at the bales and the type of rivet at the crown indicate made in the UK.

I cannot comment on the liner, but the experts on here will and can correct any errors that I may have made.

Regards,

JMB

• 1 month later...

Hi Ryan, nice looking helmet. Are there any stamped letters and numbers under the rim ?   Although it appears to be an early rimless helmet, the chinstrap bales/brackets are the later type. The liner could be a ' Private Purchase ' type and the bales could have been changed when the liner was fitted. The rivet at the top of the helmet holding the strap is also different as it is larger than the usual type. Also, is the shell of  magnetic steel ?  ( test it with a magnet if you have one )

Roger

The number is more likely to be FKS or FS, which were both used by the Thomas Firth Co. of Sheffield.

I have recorded up to FKS 110 and FS 288, where the number is the so-called "furnace heat number", i.e. essentially the batch of steel from which the helmet was pressed.

Whether 53 or 83, neither of these batches could be considered early.

Accurate measurements (width/length/height) might help with the identification.

Any lettering on the liner may also help.

Regards,

JMB