Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli May 2020

michaeldr

Hereabouts it's cold and very wet today, and at such times one's thoughts stray to happier climes. Mine are looking forward to another tour of the Gallipoli battlefield in May this year

The Gallipoli Association, are offering not only their popular ‘Walking Gallipoli’ Tour in the company of fellow enthusiasts and authorities, but also their new ‘Hidden Gallipoli’ Tour. One week, or two weeks, the choice is yours. These tours are open to GA members and non-members alike, however members will receive a £50.00 discount on the price.

Walking Gallipoli (3rd -8th May 2020) which is led by the Association's historian and author, Stephen Chambers alongside guide, author and fellow GA member Clive Harris, will offer a series of walks covering the highlights of the campaign.

Hidden Gallipoli (8th-13th May 2020) led by the same expert team, will offer a series of walks covering important sites that are rarely visited by groups. If you have been on one of the GA's walking tours and would like to return to do something different, this is the tour for you.

Both tours are conducted at a relaxed pace and the distances are not excessive. Our average day involves around 6 miles over undulating ground, but at a pace to suit the needs of the group.

Personally, this will be about my fifth time on the peninsula with the Gallipoli Association and I am looking forward to the Hidden Gallipoli Tour which intends to cover areas that I am not familiar with. These will include Kum Kale and the Orkanieh Battery (the French Landing and the VC action of Lt-Cmdr Robinson) as well as the Gallipoli Site Directorate's newly opened walk at Anzac from the rear areas up to the firing line. The last day is again one of my favourites; a walk along Kiretch Tepe Ridge, visiting Karakol Dagh, Jephson’s Post, The Pimple, Kidney Hill and the Gendarme Memorial.

NB: The Gallipoli Association organises these flight-inclusive holidays through a recognised tour operator who is financially protected by the ATOL scheme. When you pay you will be supplied with an ATOL Certificate. Please ask for it and check to ensure that everything you booked (flights, hotels and other services) is listed on it. This tour operator is the proud holder of the coveted 2013 Nathaniel Wade award from the Guild of Battlefield Guides for their services to guiding

Check out the Gallipoli Association's website for full details

or address your enquiries directly to the Gallipoli Association by email:

tours@gallipoli-association.org

See you on the peninsula in May

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

On 20/01/2020 at 11:32, michaeldr said:

Walking Gallipoli (3rd -8th May 2020) which is led by the Association's historian and author, Stephen Chambers alongside guide, author and fellow GA member Clive Harris, will offer a series of walks covering the highlights of the campaign.

To whet the appetite, the itinerary for 6th May 2020 includes:

North Anzac - A beautiful walk in the remote North Anzac area exploring Embarkation Cemetery, Taylor’s Gap, Agyhl Dere, Damakjelik Spur, Australia Valley, and Hill 60.

In the afternoon we walk from the heights of Chunuk Bair and Sari Bair, along Rhododendron Ridge to Ocean Beach below.”

Here are two views from there; one from c.100 years ago and the other from just three years ago

1816143218_ChailakDerefrmTableTop.jpg.dc0dd71feeb9ee9bbf3c61c3a0d2ca95.jpg

P1060735.JPG.ffef1167021c4ad3f108ec0e95ef8036.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

From today's newspaper - Weather warnings have been issued for parts of the UK as Storm Ciara is forecast to bring strong gales and heavy rain over the weekend.

Time to think of that summer battlefield tour, and apparently only 6 places left on each of the Gallipoli Association tours - see https://twitter.com/Gallipoli100/status/1226195848255725573

Don't delay – book today to avoid disapointment

Hmm.....a Gallipoli trip is definitely on my bucket list - but my budget + cost-benefit analysis prevents on this occasion.

Once you take off the 2 travel days either end.....and take off the flight cost (you can get £150 return to Istanbul with BA for the same dates), I think you're left with a cost of £1400/head for 4 days of walking.

That's £350 for each Gallipoli Association walking day (without your evening meal)......compared to my average DIY Western Front walking day of approx £50.

OK, so my DIY WF experience isn't exactly comparing 'apples with apples' ......but I could also choose a more comparable 7-day Gallipoli tour with Leger in May (same flight deduction) at c£200/day (and they DO include your evening meal)..........so the GA trip seems to be at one heck of a premium in my eyes.

At the end of the day, we all 'pays our money and makes our choices'....so good luck to you and your tour.

Atb,

David

Thanks David,

and good luck with your particular visit.

On the Gallipoli Association tour you will benefit from expert guiding, not only by the association's own historian [5 or more published books on the subject], but also by the professional guides of Battle Honours Ltd; the latter as recommended by the GWF's associate site, The Long Long Trail here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/

I'll be taking part this year (my tenth visit to the peninsula and my fourth time with this organisation) because every time I go with them, they manage to fit in something new which I haven't seen before. This year I'm particularly interested in visiting the Kum Kale sites and the French sector, as well, of course, as my all-time favourite Gallipoli walk along Kiretch Tepe Sirt.

As with much else in this life, you only get what you pay for.

The latest figures suggest that there are only four places left; if your going, then be quick!