Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this winter flying clothing?

Buffnut453

Found this rather splendid image online (courtesy of he Arthur Simmons Collection, New Forest Heritage).  I'm wondering if the leggings worn by the chap on the left and the large furry mittens worn by the chap on the right would be winter flying clothing (or, perhaps, for higher-altitude sorties) or simply normal flying gear necessary for open-cockpit aircraft of the period?  Sorry if this is a numpty question but I haven't examined many photos of Great War flying clothing before.

Many thanks,
Mark

Winter Flying Clothing.jpg

Edited by Buffnut453

Yes, this clothing is protection against the temperatures experienced in open-cockpit flying until the Sidcot suit was adopted in late 1917. As the war progressed in the early years there were developments that led to higher altitudes, certainly, but also to lengthier patrols resulting in aircrew spending several hours airborne in extreme weather. Sometimes the observers/gunners were even more exposed than the pilots themselves. And then there was night flying - patrols, interception, and in late 1918 night intruder operations on the Western Front (which were pioneered by Captain D V Armstrong, the subject of my new book). Precautions included slathering the face with whale grease, but some still suffered frostbite and eye damage.  

Regards, Annette

1 hour ago, Buffnut453 said:

...I'm wondering if the leggings worn by the chap on the left...

They are not leggings as such, but what were known as "fug" boots - in their original form (as in the photo) they were long sheepskin lined boots which extended right up to the upper thighs. They were often found to be rather impractical because of this length, and in particular after the eventual adoption of the Sidcot suit in the latter part of the war it became common to cut them down into a more practical knee length:

Fug boots 11.jpg

Fug boots 3.jpg

Yes, that's pretty standard for flying in the winter -  or any time.The chap on the left is wearing fug boots, reputedly designed by Lanoe  Hawker  to combat the cold when flying the DH2 in 1916, the DH2 being a pusher. An old RFC friend had his pair cut down after the war for kneeling in while gardening. He later gave me a one of the truncated pieces. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

They are not leggings as such, but what were known as "fug" boots - in their original form (as in the photo) they were long sheepskin lined boots which extended right up to the upper thighs. They were often found to be rather impractical because of this length, and in particular after the eventual adoption of the Sidcot suit in the latter part of the war it became common to cut them down into a more practical knee length:

Fug boots 11.jpg

Fug boots 3.jpg

Well, I can say with certainty that I've learned something new today!  Many thanks, Andrew, for the response and the insights. Interestingly, there's a companion image, almost certainly taken at the same time, which has an American Sergeant, probably of the 17th Aero Squadron, also wearing fug boots.  

I suspect the image in the first post was taken sometime in the period Sep 1918 to May 1919, perhaps erring towards the colder months given the clothing (although I acknowledge it can be cold up aloft at any time of year). 

3 hours ago, Annette Carson said:

Yes, this clothing is protection against the temperatures experienced in open-cockpit flying until the Sidcot suit was adopted in late 1917. As the war progressed in the early years there were developments that led to higher altitudes, certainly, but also to lengthier patrols resulting in aircrew spending several hours airborne in extreme weather. Sometimes the observers/gunners were even more exposed than the pilots themselves. And then there was night flying - patrols, interception, and in late 1918 night intruder operations on the Western Front (which were pioneered by Captain D V Armstrong, the subject of my new book). Precautions included slathering the face with whale grease, but some still suffered frostbite and eye damage.  

Regards, Annette

Many thanks Annette.  I believe these gentlemen were Brisfit aircrew, the chap on the right was a pilot while the chap on the left had occasion to sit in the back seat.  

I was trying to use the clothing to point more specifically to the image being taken in wintertime...but I guess that may be hoping for too much (although the fur mittens still seem a tad extreme, especially for a pilot).  

3 hours ago, helpjpl said:

This may be of interest - see pages 7 to 10. 

https://www.aerosociety.com/media/4847/a-brief-history-of-flying-clothing.pdf

JP

Thanks JP.  That's a really useful overview.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

This is 206 Sqn, Boisdinghem April 1918. They flew DH9s on bombing and reconnaissance, often up to 17,000ft where fug boots would have been beneficial regardless of season.

Fug boots 206 Sqn.jpg

Jon

I suspected the answer would be that cold weather gear was worn year-round...but it was worth a shot.

Those mittens still look rather cumbersome for a pilot to be wearing, though.