Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Hospital ?

andrew pugh

Good Evening

I have a copy of a photograph which shows a large group of wounded soldiers,sitting with them is a nurse. And on her uniform she has a pin which is a letter T. Does this give any kind of clue as to which medical unit or hospital it is?

Kind Regards

Andy  

For all I know, it means she did her initial nurse training at Thomas's. Or that she was in the Territorial Forces Nursing Service (TFNS).

In brief - no, not as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Andy,

If the 'T' is on the corner of her cape then she is T.F.N.S. {There should be a 'T' on each side of her cape, but they don't always both show up on photographs.

Regards,

Alf McM

Good Evening to you.

As i have mentioned I have a photo of a large group of wounded soldiers sitting with a nurse who has what looks like a brass letter "T" on her cape. One of the soldiers on the front row is L/Cpl Brunton Smith of the 1/8th Royal Scots who was killed later in the war on the 24/03/1918 It would be great to find the location of the hospital for his family who i will be meeting up with in France for his re dedication service in March.

Kind Regards

Andy  

Ive had a look at medical records on FMP but cant see him sorry

do you know any other names?

Hi Dai Bach

Here's a photo of the casualties. L/cpl Brunton Smith is marked with an arrow.I find it strange that L/Cpl Smith ended up with a copy of the photograph,How could that be the have been. There must be thousands of group photos like these, but how did an individual soldier get his hands on a copy to send home.

Kind Regards

Andy

Milatary Hospital.pdf

Hi Hywyn

Thank you so much for that information you are spot on.And thank you all for your input.

Kind Regards

Andy

2 hours ago, Hywyn said:

If he's from Roslin then Mid-Lothian Journal 11 8 1916 under Roslin = " L Cpl Brunston Smith (wounded) is now at Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow."

Ohh, if it's Stobhill Hospital, my great-uncle, George Cressewell Hodge, was there for 9 months in 1918. Trouble is, I've never seen a photo of him, so no idea if he's in the photo!

Sue.

P. S. My great-uncle was from Essex, so I don't know why he was sent all the way to Glasgow?

Edited by suesalter1