Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Backhouse Post location

NR72

Hi all 

Just wondered if anyone had the coordinates for the location of Backhouse post?

I have been to the RND field Ambulance post often incorrectly named as Backhouse , but couldn't see the remains of the proper location

I know its approximate location 800 metres NE of Skew Bridge 

Any heads up would be lovely

Thanks

Have you read the article by Len Sellers in the first issue of his "RND" (pp/44-47) entitled "In search of Skew Bridge Cemetery, the Krithia Road, Observation Hill, Achi Baba Nullah, Romanos Well, White House, Brown House and Backhouse Post."? Of his search for Backhouse Post he writes: "We could find nothing, no hole or excavation."

It is certainly frustrating that this position has not, to date, been specifically identified.

It should, however, also be remembered that as the campaign 'progressed' (if that is the right word)

the Backhouse Post expanded somewhat, becoming a staging point and inevitably ended up covering an area certainly more extensive than the Commodore's original 'post'.

e.g. the Nelson Battalion were bivouacked there on the night 12-13th July

My point here being, that not every mention of the Backhouse Post can be taken as a reference to a specific trench point or to a single dugout.

Hi all ,

now it has been "found" in the past and photographed , the remnants of his post, and i believe given a map and being teleported there i could have a good go of finding it

These chaps found it , http://wp.gullyravine.org.uk/rnd 

I have a few maps and i am confident that its still there, just wondered if anyone had done a long /lat of it 

There were billets a long way down this area (As detailed on the Map )  cut into the bank which runs from Backhouse post to skew bridge area. This was the main access point and i suppose staging area for lads going up and down from the Front line trenches as depicted in the Ansons coming out of the line (it was into the line, as the old water towers are clear in the background) with Lt Warwick leading.

Its a wide area and was also used as the mule track , would have been busy

I think Back house post was not on the main drag so to speak as is the Field Ambulance structure , but  on the same side as, but up the bank a bit , further up the track

Edited by NR72

This is the ground looking down towards Skew Bridge , so the bank on the right is where the  RND field ambulance was cut into the bank, with a trench/track going over the bank (You can see start of it on far right of photo)

Capture.JPG

Edited by NR72

Was it named after Commodore O. Backhouse, R.N. of the Second R.N. Brigade, by any chance? 

I have these two mentions in Sir Arthur Gaskell's History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division: 

SANITATION AREAS.-The Southern end of the Peninsula has been divided into areas for sanitation purposes. The area allotted to the R.N. Division is:

Southern Boundary.-The road from sq. 162 B-2 to sq. 162 D-4.
Eastern Boundary.-The road from sq. 162 D-4 to first pillar; thence along  the line of pillars and from fifth pillar to Zimmerman Farm, exclusive.
Western Boundary.-From Backhouse Post (sq. 169 L-3) along the valley running S. W. inclusive, to the road at sq. 162 D-2. 

Imbros,
July 18 1915.
Sir, I have the honour to submit the following report on the action 12th and 13th July in so far as it bears on the work done by the Field Ambulance under my command.

1. The following was the arrangement for the transport of the wounded.
" C" sub-division bearers under Surgeon Sparrow were posted at the East Lancashire Field Ambulance Station in the nullah. They were receiving cases from the First Field Ambulance bearers at the head of the nullah, carrying them down to Backhouse Post and calling in at the East Lancashire Dressing Station for dressing when necessary. From Backhouse Post to Skew Bridge the bearing was done by the Lowland Division Bearers and from Skew Bridge cases were taken over by the bearers of " A" and "B " sub-divisions under Surgeons Mayne and Foxell who were stationed at 200 Hill. [...]

C. E. Cortis Stanford.
Staff Surgeon R.N.

Yes it was Jane , I've just read Arthur's book ( Which you sent me) again this morning. Hes on the right 

The other photo is what remains 

Screenshot_20200120-153437_Samsung Internet.jpg

20200119_121813.jpg

Brilliant!

Any idea who the other three chaps are?

sJ

• 1 month later...
On 19/01/2020 at 11:26, NR72 said:

the coordinates for the location of Backhouse post?

Force Order No.28 issued by MEF GHQ 7 November 1915 lists the “names of localities … authorised for general use.”

It then gives each grid ref per the 1:20,000 map

That for Backhouse Post is 17.S.3.-6.

I'm grateful to my friend Mike Crane for this info and for the map below

583299461_MapGallipoliGHQFO29locationsBackhousePostcrop.jpg.6d179f1c930f93dcfda820ee63801661.jpg