Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

From the West Yorkshire Regiment to the Machine Gun Corps

alandouglasbower

I'm researching Leonard Overall D.C.M and have found his citation and his other medal records, but can't find any of his other service and pension records. On the list below seven individuals seemed to have been transferred together from the West Yorkshire Regiment to the Machine Gun Corps. I cannot find service records for any of them. Dilks, who died of wounds in 1917 seems to have been with the 106th Machine Gun Company. When Leonard Overall won his D.C.M. (Date unknown) he was listed as a member of the 39th Machine Gun Corps. Does anyone know from the regimental numbers when they attested, and their journey from the West Yorkshire Regiment to the Machine Gun Corps? Any insight would be appreciated. From the D.C.M. and the two Military Medals, these seven seemed to have been in the thick of the action.

Leonard Overall and MGC Colleagues.jpg

His DCM was for his actions South East of Saulcourt on 22nd March 1918. Source: annotated version of London Gazette available from the National Archives. If you can find the unit War Diary for the day it may provide some context. 

Saulcourt is SSE of Cambrai. 

39th Battalion MGC

Edited by Mark1959

• Admin

25204/1093 Ford age 19 yrs enlisted Sheffield 9th January 1915 17th Service Battalion WY (2nd Leeds). Cpl Overall was also from Sheffield.

To France 31.12.1915 with the main body 106th Brigade 35th Division.  This was a 'Bantam' Division, though it soon lost that identity as the war progressed.

Attached 106 Coy MGC  28.3.1916

Posted to MGC  21/11/1916

A period of attachment to the Brigade MG  Coy was far from unusual, nor was permanent transfer a few months later.

Ford's career diverged from your man after France as he was posted to Mesopatamia.  I cannot account for Overall's transfer to the 39th Battalion MGC but may have been after an earlier wounding/sickness and return to France where he would be posted from the MG Base Depot at Camiers.  In the reorganisation in February 1918 the Brigade Companies became  Companies within Divisional Battalions so the 106th went into the 35th Battalion.

The war diary may show the attachments posted, sometimes either way as it was a strength change.

You will probably find Ford's record in the pension records on Ancestry or the details above from service records on FMP (FMP do not differentiate)

The citation for the DCM reflects Cpl Overall's courage and determination. 

Ken

Ancestry has the 39th Battalion's unit war diary. March 1918 starts here. The unit actions on 22/3/18 are briefly described. Overall seems not to be mentioned

between March and June 1918. ORs rarely are. 

William Marsh MM 25207 earned his MM whilst serving with 106 Company MGC. Gazetted Feb 1918. 

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you all. I did not realize there is an annotated version of the London Gazette. I recently discovered that both of my Great Aunts on the Bower side of my family tree had husbands that had won the D.C.M. One married Arnold Shelley, D.C.M. prior to WW1, while the other Great Aunt, a widow, married a widower, Leonard Overall in the mid 1940s. They all lived in the Crookes area of Sheffield.